Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/16 20:18:22 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP

The Apache Shiro community and the mentors of the project think the
project is ready to graduate and is asking for IPMC's recommendation
to present the project resolution to the board. The community
graduation vote was held and resulted in 27 positive votes with no
neutral or negatives (see
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-shiro-user/201008.mbox/%3CAANLkTinQPVRhjXZJhJBYxpyHOVzbYL1WqYw=hjLn9bux@mail.gmail.com%3E).

The proposed resolution is attached to the end of this post and is
also available at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SHIRO/Graduation+Resolution.
See the discussion on the project scope and resolution wording at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-shiro-dev/201008.mbox/browser
(linking to the index view, see the "[DISCUSS] Graduation Resolution"
thread).

For other supporting information, see all of the completed action
items at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shiro/STATUS and
clutch status at http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html.

This is a binding IPMC vote for recommending graduation of Apache
Shiro with the proposed resolution.

[   ] +1 - Recommend graduation of Apache Shiro as a TLP
[   ] -1 - Oppose graduation of Apache Shiro as a TLP (if it's the
wording in the resolution, we may refine during the vote)

This vote will remain open for at least 72 hours.

===
Establish Apache Shiro Project

interests of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's
purpose to establish a Project Management Committee charged with
the creation and maintenance of open-source software related to
application security, for distribution at no charge to the
public.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "The Apache Shiro Project",
Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that The Apache Shiro Project be and hereby is
responsible for the creation and maintenance of a software
project related to application security; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Shiro" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of The Apache
Shiro Project, and to have primary responsibility for management
of the projects within the scope of responsibility of
The Apache Shiro Project; and be it further

hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of The
Apache Shiro Project:

* Les Hazlewood       (lhazlewood@apache.org)
* Kalle Korhonen      (kaosko@apache.org)
* Peter Ledbrook      (pledbrook@apache.org)
* Jeremy Haile        (jhaile@apache.org)
* Craig L Russell     (craig.russell@oracle.com)

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Les Hazlewood
be and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice
President, Shiro, to serve in accordance with and subject to
the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Shiro Project be and hereby
Incubator Shiro podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
Incubator Shiro podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
PMC are hereafter discharged.
===

Re: [VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:33 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 August 2010 19:18, Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some of the incubation stages don't seem to have been completed, at
> least according to the page:
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/shiro.html
> Perhaps these items have been completed, in which case please could
> the page be updated accordingly?

Uh sorry, we've forgotten the existence of that page - will update.

Kalle

Re: [VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
While inconclusive, based on the discussion I've restored the LICENSE
file at the top of our svn trunk. Please refrain yourself from further
comments regarding the LICENSE file in this thread, this is a vote (my
fault; I know I should have kept my mouth shut).

Kalle

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Boy is that rare for someone to express appreciation
for being corrected.

You're definitely welcome!

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
  On 8/18/10 1:15 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>> In other word, the  release *is* the SVN revision that has been voted.
> Bzzt. The release package may contain files not found in svn. See httpd
> releases for examples.  That is why the document you referenced avoids
> discussion of svn; it's the actual tarball that counts.

Thanks for correcting my wrong understanding. Yes, release = tarball
produced by any tool you may want to use (maven, ant, make, human sweat
and fingers...)
>> At least, I would  suggest that you restore the file, then discuss the
>> rationale for this file  being present or not on another thread:)
> The reason it's good to have the LICENSE and NOTICE file appear in the
> base of any reasonable svn checkout is because svn is a distribution
> point for developers, so having license info about the collected work
> (represented by an svn checkout) appear in expected places is important.

I buy that.

Thanks for the clarification !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
  On 8/18/10 1:03 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:
> Yes, the name changes were difficult to deal with, ...
It was very interesting that the team didn't exploded after such an
unpleasant experience !

But consider that it could have been much worse : what if you have
picked 'Dalvik' for the project name at the origin? ;)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * Les Hazlewood       (lhazlewood@apache.org)
>> * Kalle Korhonen      (kaosko@apache.org)
>> * Peter Ledbrook      (pledbrook@apache.org)
>> * Jeremy Haile        (jhaile@apache.org)
>> * Craig L Russell     (craig.russell@oracle.com)
>
> The "project" wording comes from the podling resolution template -- https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/templates/podling-tlp-resolution.txt
>
> I assume the above project members are "PMC" members?

Yes, that's correct.

> Mailing list discussions look good. You deserve medals for surviving the name changes. Would be nice to hear from additional mentors.
>
> Here's m +1

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  Yes, the name changes were
difficult to deal with, but it was all part of adapting to The Apache
Way.  I think it really underscores the resiliency and support of the
entire Apache Shiro community.

Cheers,

Les

Re: [VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

> Dunno if it's exactly documentation but see this from Roy Fielding....
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-26?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12732740#action_12732740
>
> Based on this I've been advising projects to put the apache LICENSE and and a NOTICE file that covers the actual contents of svn (i.e. not including stuff that is added to binaries as part of the build process) at expected svn checkout roots such as, here, http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shiro/trunk.

Agreed. Me too...

> I don't consider this a barrier to graduation..

And agreed.

On Aug 16, 2010, at 2:18 PM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:

> RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
> hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of The
> Apache Shiro Project:
>
> * Les Hazlewood       (lhazlewood@apache.org)
> * Kalle Korhonen      (kaosko@apache.org)
> * Peter Ledbrook      (pledbrook@apache.org)
> * Jeremy Haile        (jhaile@apache.org)
> * Craig L Russell     (craig.russell@oracle.com)

The "project" wording comes from the podling resolution template -- https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/templates/podling-tlp-resolution.txt

I assume the above project members are "PMC" members?

Mailing list discussions look good. You deserve medals for surviving the name changes. Would be nice to hear from additional mentors.

Here's m +1

Good Luck!

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
The vote is now closed and succeeded with 11 binding +1 votes, one
non-binding +1 vote and no negative or neutral votes.

Binding votes:
Chris A. Mattman
Craig Russell
Martijn Dashorst
Gavin McDonald
Emmanuel Lecharny
Kevan Miller
Joe Schaefer
J. Daniel Kulp
Alan Cabrera
Niall Pemberton
Noel Bergman

Non-binding vote:
David Jencks

Thank you all, we'll take the result to the Board!
Kalle

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
+1 Yay!

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
[ X  ] +1 - Recommend graduation of Apache Shiro as a TLP

Congrats to everyone.  (the remaining issues that are being improperly
discussed on this VOTE thread are minor and not a blocker, IMO)

Dan

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Thanks so much Niall for both the vote and the svn commit!

Les

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
  On 8/17/10 8:23 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
> +1
>
> You have worked hard to get to this point, having survived the release
> process, two name changes, and community building exercises.

You also have my +1. It was a long graduation, but at the end, the team
get The Apache way large and long. Go !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
+1.

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.
[X] +1 - Recommend graduation of Apache Shiro as a TLP

Nice work.

Gav...

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
+1

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
+1  Good luck.  Hope to see you adopted into Android!

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Apache Shiro graduation as TLP

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Good job guys. I reviewed the VOTE threads, and your clutch status. Board resolution looks good. My only concern is that it looks like a small PMC, but if you've got this far then I'll trust you guys to move forward. Also looks like solid people on the team too.

+1 from me.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.