Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Snyder, Kevin N." <Ke...@MerchantLink.com> on 2008/01/30 15:04:56 UTC

[users@httpd] users@httpd NOT Urgent

I have a small issue after upgrading from Apache 1.3.37 to Apache
2.0.49. A small number of client terminals are locking up after a
successful post. After doing tons of trouble-shooting and researching
the matter, I thought I would try posing the question in this forum.

To illustrate where I think there might be a problem, I have captured
the traffic leaving/entering the client terminal.

Post to Apache 1.3 proxy server.

Thu Jan 24 11:36:14 2008 --- Thread 1444
POST http://gateway.myplace.com:443/Macros/tran.cgi HTTP/1.1
Host: gateway.myplace.com:443

Apache 1.3 return value.
Keep-Alive: timeout=60, max=1000
Connection: Keep-Alive

Post to Apache 2.0

Thu Jan 24 11:36:14 2008 --- Thread 1444
POST http://gateway.myplace.com:443/Macros/tran.cgi HTTP/1.1
Host: gateway.myplace.com:443

Apache 2.0 return value.
Thu Jan 24 11:36:16 2008 --- Thread 1444
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:34:09 GMT
Server: Apache
Connection: close

Can some tell me why the Apache 2.0 is sending a connection close
instead of the Keep-Alive value sent in the Apache 1.3? And yes, my
keepalive directive is on and set to 60 seconds in the Apache 2.0
instance.
----------
Learn more about Merchant Link at www.merchantlink.com.

THIS MESSAGE IS CONFIDENTIAL.  This e-mail message and any attachments are proprietary and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not print, distribute, or copy this message or any attachments.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachments from your computer.

Re: [users@httpd] users@httpd NOT Urgent

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Axel-Stephane SMORGRAV wrote:

> Apache 2.0.49 is pretty old. Lots of water under the bridge since then... If 2.2.6 is not an option, I would recommend at least 2.0.56 or even 2.0.62.

2.0.55 or 2.0.63 perhaps?  There are no 2.0.55, 2.0.62 ;-)

Since this is a new-transition, and since 2.0 is in nothing more than
bugfix and security updates modes now, is sure seems 2.2.8 would be
a really good idea.

http://httpd.apache.org/download.html

Bill

RE: [users@httpd] users@httpd NOT Urgent

Posted by Axel-Stephane SMORGRAV <Ax...@europe.adp.com>.
You may have a BrowserMatch directive or similar that defines the nokeepalive environment variable. That will force Apache to close the connection after each request.

However, I cannot see how that would be related to the problem you encounter. On the contrary.

Apache 2.0.49 is pretty old. Lots of water under the bridge since then... If 2.2.6 is not an option, I would recommend at least 2.0.56 or even 2.0.62.

-ascs