Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2004/03/01 00:18:57 UTC

RE: Sending an email from the server

just in case everyone contributing to this discussion hasn't read it I wrote this:
http://james.apache.org/james_and_sendmail.html
specifically to address the needs of people who have multiple local users and want to replace sendmail with James for handling email routing and delivery but still retain the scriptable "mail" command support of sendmail so as not to break all the mail generated by software on the box.

The perl script sounds like a good idea though, I should check it out.

d.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> When I was evaluating james, I didn't want to touch a working sendmail
> configuration. I saw the james/sendmail doc, and immediately dismissed
> james. I discovered over time some tricks to 'try' things without
> touching sendmail.

You mean, like assigning different ports?  :-)  I do that for some of my
own, e.g., for a dedicated James instance that is programmed to handle
automated replies for a particular organization.  It runs on my build
server, so I kept it isolated from any other things I might be doing with
James.

> There have been some good suggestions over the last day on this topic.
> I'd like to see them in the documentation, so that newbies (like I was
> once) don't potentially get scared off.

Please feel free to submit a documentation patch, or contribute to the wiki
(http://wiki.apache.org/james).

	--- Noel

RE: Sending an email from the server

> just in case everyone contributing to this discussion hasn't read it I

> wrote this: http://james.apache.org/james_and_sendmail.html
> specifically to address the needs of people who have multiple local
> users and want to replace sendmail with James [but] still retain the
> scriptable "mail" command

Your document is what I had used to setup my systems.  Worked fine.  :-)
I just needed a simple matcher to pick up root mail and forward to my
James id.

> The perl script sounds like a good idea though, I should check it out.

Yup.

	--- Noel

RE: Sending an email from the server

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.