Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Wei Ding <We...@nicta.com.au> on 2004/04/21 02:08:46 UTC

Newbie's successful steps to install Xindice-1.1b4 and run examples

I am newbie to xindice. Actually, compile and install xindice is not
difficult, but to run the example in \java\examples\guide really drive
me crazy. The following is my steps to do it. The order of some steps is
exchangeable. Wish that would help newbie like me.

Windows XP Pro

Tomcat 5.0.18

Xindice 1.1b4

Java SDK 1.4.2_04

1. Install Java SDK 1.4.2_04

2. Add environmental variable JAVA_HOME point to the location of your
Java SDK installation

3. Unzip xml-xindice-1.1b4-src.zip.zip

4. Execute build.bat in Xindice_src directory

5. Unzip jakarta-tomcat-5.0.18.zip

6. Add environmental variable CATALINA_HOME point to the location of
your Tomcat installation

7. Rename %XINDICE_HOME%\xindice-1.1b4.war file to xindice.war

8. Copy the xindice.war file from %XINDICE_HOME%\dist to the
%CATALINA_HOME%\webapps

9. Add environmental variable XINDICE_HOME point to the location of your
Xindice installation

10.Add %JAVA_HOME%\bin to PATH

11.Add %XINDICE_HOME%\bin to PATH

12.Add all jar file in %XINDICE_HOME%\java\lib to CLASSPATH

13.Unzip Xindice_jar.zip

14.Copy xindice-1.1b4.jar from Xindice_jar directory to
%XINDICE_HOME%\java\lib

15.Add xindice-1.1b4.jar to CLASSPATH (very important)

16.Add . to CLASSPATH and PATH (very important)

17.Edit %CATALINA_HOME%\conf\server.xml change the port 8080 to 8888
(Optional)

18.Start Tomcat

19.run " xindice ad -c /db -n addressbook"

20.go to %XINDICE_HOME%\java\examples\guide\xml, run " xindice ad -c
/db/addressbook -f address1.xml -n address1" and "xindice ad -c
/db/addressbook -f address2.xml -n address2"

21.go to %XINDICE_HOME%\java\examples\guide\src, run " ..\run
org.apache.xindice.examples.Example1".     I'm not sure if we should
compile the java files first.

Re: Newbie's successful steps to install Xindice-1.1b4 and run examples

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Wei Ding wrote:

> I am newbie to xindice. Actually, compile and install xindice is not
> difficult, but to run the example in \java\examples\guide really drive
> me crazy. The following is my steps to do it. The order of some steps
> is exchangeable. Wish that would help newbie like me.

Thanks for sharing. Recently I sent some .bat file which also helps with
this. Also, if you want, you can add a page to the Wiki
(http://wiki.apache.org/xindice/FrontPage)

Vadim