Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Aaron Evans <aa...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/13 03:21:16 UTC

building and deploying jetspeed-layouts

I have a jetspeed 2.1 portal installation with the default layouts
that came with it.

I built it using the maven plugin a while back.

I would like to add another layout.  Basically it's another instance
of MultiColumnPortlet only with different init params (i want to use a
custom layout velocity template).

Adding a new portlet to the portlet.xml of the layouts app in place
and restarting tomcat doesn't do the trick. I guess you have to
re-deploy the app to jetspeed so it picks up the new portlet instance?

Anyhow, I am just looking for the quickest and easiest way to make
this happen.  Any suggestions welcome...

Re: building and deploying jetspeed-layouts

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, you can just make a copy of the existing exploded
jetspeed-layouts app,. modify the portlet.xml, war it back up and drop
it in WEB-INF/deploy.

If you are on 2.1.3, try just modifying the portlet.xml as David suggests.

Posted by Serkan Camurcuoglu <se...@telenity.com>.
Hi Aaron,

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@gmail.com>.
Cool, I will have to check that out!

Posted by Serkan Camurcuoglu <se...@telenity.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Jun 24, 2008, at 7:47 AM, Aaron Evans wrote:

> This would be with my old maven 1 build (still on JS 2.1, haven't had
> time to upgrade).
>
> If in 2.1.3 modifying the existing portlet.xml in place works, that
> will be fine.
>
> The only problem with that is that in order to automate that task as
> part of our build process, we'll have to take a copy of portlet.xml
> and apply our change, save that in our SVN repo and use maven or ant
> to copy it out to the installed jetspeed instance post-install.  This
> is fine except we'll have to remember to re-apply our change for every
> subsequent jetspeed upgrade.
>
> If only ant/maven could handle XML/DOM manipulation. :)
>
> One source of confusion for me though was in my generated portal
> project (maven1 genapp goal), I can find no trace of the
> jetspeed-layouts app. So I couldn't even modify it before I do the
> final install.
>
> Does the maven build just pull down a copy of the jetspeed layouts war
> from a maven repository as part of the installation?

yes, it will pull it out of your local repository first

the goals j2:pam.layoutdeploy is available to you:

   <goal name="j2:pam.layoutdeploy">
     <j:set var="maven.war.final.name" value="jetspeed-layouts"/>
     <attainGoal name="j2:localdeploy"/>
   </goal>

as is a more generic:

   <goal name="j2:localdeploy">
       <j:set var="j2.war.groupId" value="${plugin.groupId}"/>
       <j:set var="j2.war.version" value="${jetspeed.version}"/>
       <j:set var="isLocalWarDeploy" value="true"/>
       <attainGoal name="j2:warDeploy"/>
   </goal>

so you could write your own goal in your custom maven.xml:

   <goal name="custom-localdeploy">
       <j:set var="maven.war.final.name" value="jetspeed-layouts"/>
       <j:set var="j2.war.groupId" value="${plugin.groupId}"/>
       <j:set var="j2.war.version" value="${jetspeed.version}"/>
       <j:set var="isLocalWarDeploy" value="true"/>
       <attainGoal name="j2:warDeploy"/>
   </goal>

Im looking at the j2:warDeploy goal, it does some useful tasks, like
infusing the jetspeed container
however it requires properties to be set

   <!-- warDeploy allows you to deploy arbitrary wars to the portal
deploy folder,
        optionally downloading it from remote repositories if not
available yet
        Required properties to set:
        - maven.war.final.name
        - j2.war.groupId
        - j2.war.version
     -->
   <goal name="j2:warDeploy">

You may want to just take the j2:warDeploy goal, copy it into your
custom maven.xml, and modify it for your needs

Re: building and deploying jetspeed-layouts

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@gmail.com>.

AW: Accessing rundata-/session objects in popup on jetspeed 1.x

Posted by David Psiuk <ap...@salesfactory.org>.
Hello all,

problem solved, thanks

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.