Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/16 19:31:41 UTC

[VOTE] Release 4.0 of ActiveMQ

We've had the 4.0 release cut for a little while and we've tested it
out and it seems to be fine and to comply with the various release
requirements (notice file, incubator disclaimers, license files etc)

http://people.apache.org/~chirino/incubator-activemq-4.0/maven1/incubator-activemq/distributions/

The release notes will show up here as soon as the mirrors catch up...
http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/activemq-40-release.html

if you are impatient, here's the wiki page for the release notes:
http://goopen.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/ActiveMQ+4.0+Release

Please vote to approve this release binary

[ ] +1 Release the binary as ActiveMQ 4.0

If this vote passes, then we will then ask the Incubator PMC for their
blessing to ship this release officially.

Here's my +1

--

James
-------

Re: [VOTE] Release 4.0 of ActiveMQ

Posted by Jonas Lim <jl...@exist.com>.
Thanks Hiram!

Here's my +1 :)

Regards,
Jonas

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Hi Jonas,

Posted by Rob DellaFortuna <ro...@gmail.com>.
For this release, are there plans to bring the Openwire dotnet client up to
spec with the current 4.0 java implementation?

Cheers,
 Rob.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Ok. quick status report on the 718 issue.  I applied the patch and the
good news is that subsequent openwire version is still compatible with
version that is in the current 4.0 release candidate that we voted on.
 This is because our Java implementation of openwire does not
use/validate the size prefix on each command.  That size prefix was
put there to support future NIO based transports and other openwire
implementations where having the size prefix makes it easier to
implement the protocol.

So I'm all for just including the patch as bug fix in the next (4.1)
release of activemq.  So I'm still at +1 for releasing the current
binary.

On 5/22/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> so 718 was partially valid.  I'm going to rebuild and test the new
> client against the 4.0 rc.  If the patch does not break compatibility
> with 4.0, then I think we can let 4.0 go out as is.  if it does break
> compatibility then I think we will need to recut a new release
> candidate for 4.0.
>
> Any opinions?
>

> On 5/22/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> > Opps.  I just reviewed that patch. and It does not seem to be valid.
> > I think I may have jumped the gun on putting in my -1.  So I'm
> > retracting my -1 for now, and asking for anybody out there that is
> > interested in the openwire internals to peek into the AMQ-718 and
> > double check me.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > On 5/22/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> > > I retract my +1..  This issue has just been reported:
> > >
> > > https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-718
> > >
> > > We have a small inconsistency in our wireformat that if we don't fix
> > > now, we will never be able to fix.
> > >
> > > So -1 on the release, and I'll start working on applying the provided
> > > patch.  Thanks for the sharp eyes Andrew Lusk!

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Hiram
> > >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Hiram
> >

> --
> Regards,
> Hiram

Hiram

Re: [VOTE] Release 4.0 of ActiveMQ

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
so 718 was partially valid.  I'm going to rebuild and test the new
client against the 4.0 rc.  If the patch does not break compatibility
with 4.0, then I think we can let 4.0 go out as is.  if it does break
compatibility then I think we will need to recut a new release
candidate for 4.0.

Any opinions?

On 5/22/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> Opps.  I just reviewed that patch. and It does not seem to be valid.
> I think I may have jumped the gun on putting in my -1.  So I'm
> retracting my -1 for now, and asking for anybody out there that is
> interested in the openwire internals to peek into the AMQ-718 and
> double check me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On 5/22/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> > I retract my +1..  This issue has just been reported:
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-718
> >
> > We have a small inconsistency in our wireformat that if we don't fix
> > now, we will never be able to fix.
> >
> > So -1 on the release, and I'll start working on applying the provided
> > patch.  Thanks for the sharp eyes Andrew Lusk!

> > > +1
> > >
> > > Congrats on all the great work!
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Alan
> > >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Hiram
> >

> --
> Regards,
> Hiram

Hiram

Re: [VOTE] Release 4.0 of ActiveMQ

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Opps.  I just reviewed that patch. and It does not seem to be valid.
I think I may have jumped the gun on putting in my -1.  So I'm
retracting my -1 for now, and asking for anybody out there that is
interested in the openwire internals to peek into the AMQ-718 and
double check me.

Thanks!

On 5/22/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> I retract my +1..  This issue has just been reported:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-718
>
> We have a small inconsistency in our wireformat that if we don't fix
> now, we will never be able to fix.
>
> So -1 on the release, and I'll start working on applying the provided
> patch.  Thanks for the sharp eyes Andrew Lusk!
>

> On 5/20/06, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> > James Strachan wrote:
> > > We've had the 4.0 release cut for a little while and we've tested it
> > > out and it seems to be fine and to comply with the various release
> > > requirements (notice file, incubator disclaimers, license files etc)
> > >
> > > http://people.apache.org/~chirino/incubator-activemq-4.0/maven1/incubator-activemq/distributions/
> > >

> > > The release notes will show up here as soon as the mirrors catch up...
> > > http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/activemq-40-release.html
> > >
> > > if you are impatient, here's the wiki page for the release notes:
> > > http://goopen.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/ActiveMQ+4.0+Release
> > >
> > > Please vote to approve this release binary
> > >
> > > [ ] +1 Release the binary as ActiveMQ 4.0
> > > [ ] -1 Veto the release (provide specific comments)
> > >
> > > If this vote passes, then we will then ask the Incubator PMC for their
> > > blessing to ship this release officially.
> > >
> > > Here's my +1
> > >
> > +1
> >
> > Congrats on all the great work!
> >

> > Regards,
> > Alan
> >

> --
> Regards,
> Hiram

Hiram

Re: [VOTE] Release 4.0 of ActiveMQ

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I retract my +1..  This issue has just been reported:

We have a small inconsistency in our wireformat that if we don't fix
now, we will never be able to fix.

So -1 on the release, and I'll start working on applying the provided
patch.  Thanks for the sharp eyes Andrew Lusk!

On 5/20/06, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> James Strachan wrote:
> > We've had the 4.0 release cut for a little while and we've tested it
> > out and it seems to be fine and to comply with the various release
> > requirements (notice file, incubator disclaimers, license files etc)
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~chirino/incubator-activemq-4.0/maven1/incubator-activemq/distributions/
> >

> > The release notes will show up here as soon as the mirrors catch up...
> > http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/activemq-40-release.html
> >
> > if you are impatient, here's the wiki page for the release notes:
> > http://goopen.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/ActiveMQ+4.0+Release
> >
> > Please vote to approve this release binary
> >
> > [ ] +1 Release the binary as ActiveMQ 4.0
> > [ ] -1 Veto the release (provide specific comments)
> >
> > If this vote passes, then we will then ask the Incubator PMC for their
> > blessing to ship this release officially.
> >
> > Here's my +1
> >
> +1
>
> Congrats on all the great work!
>

> Regards,
> Alan

Hiram

Re: [VOTE] Release 4.0 of ActiveMQ

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gu...@worldonline.fr>.
+1

Guillaume

Posted by Adrian Co <ac...@exist.com>.
+1

Regards,
Adrian Co

Posted by Fritz Oconer <fo...@exist.com>.
 +1

Regards,
Fritz

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1

-dain

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
+1

John

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 5/16/06, James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We've had the 4.0 release cut for a little while and we've tested it
> out and it seems to be fine and to comply with the various release
> requirements (notice file, incubator disclaimers, license files etc)
>
> http://people.apache.org/~chirino/incubator-activemq-4.0/maven1/incubator-activemq/distributions/
>
> The release notes will show up here as soon as the mirrors catch up...
> http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/activemq-40-release.html
>
> if you are impatient, here's the wiki page for the release notes:
> http://goopen.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/ActiveMQ+4.0+Release
>
> Please vote to approve this release binary
>
> [ ] +1 Release the binary as ActiveMQ 4.0
>
> If this vote passes, then we will then ask the Incubator PMC for their
> blessing to ship this release officially.

+1

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/
Apache ServiceMix - http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/
Castor - http://castor.org/

Re: [VOTE] Release 4.0 of ActiveMQ

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
+1

I want to thank everyone that has been involved in this long release
and testing process.  It has made ActiveMQ an outstanding piece of
software!

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

cheers,