Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tom Bolick <to...@tabsoftwaresystems.com> on 2004/07/16 21:46:59 UTC

2 Newbie questions

I think I know the answer to the first question, but no harm in asking. (while wearing asbestos pants anyway)

1) My hosting service only supports Apache 1.3.  Is there ANYTHING I can do to use subversion?  What about
running svnserve on the host under SSH?  I don't really expect a lot of traffic, but I'd like to move my repository
up to the website to make it available from multiple locations.  (not really multiple people.)

2) I'm still trying to figure out the best way to create a new repository for a project.  The documentation is just
not clear to an idiot like me.  So far this is what I am thinking is the 'best way':

-------------
1) create a set of blank directories to set up the whole trunk/tags/branches thing
2) import that into the repository under PROJECTNAME
3) rename current PROJECT directory and create new empty PROJECT directory
4) copy all file you want under VC (i.e. source) into that empty directory
5) import that new directory
6) copy everything back from copy of PROJECT directory
7) UPDATE the directory from the repository
-------------

Now I admit I use TortoiseSVN, but this should be same either way, right?  Is there a better way to do this?

Tom...

Re: 2 Newbie questions

Posted by Bryan Donlan <bd...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:46:59 -0400, Tom Bolick
<to...@tabsoftwaresystems.com> wrote:
> I think I know the answer to the first question, but no harm in asking. (while wearing asbestos pants anyway)
>
> 1) My hosting service only supports Apache 1.3.  Is there ANYTHING I can do to use subversion?  What about
> running svnserve on the host under SSH?  I don't really expect a lot of traffic, but I'd like to move my repository
> up to the website to make it available from multiple locations.  (not really multiple people.)

If you have ssh access, you can run svnserve over ssh. See
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch06s03.html#svn-ch-6-sect-3.3 for
details, it's quite easy.

> 2) I'm still trying to figure out the best way to create a new repository for a project.  The documentation is just
> not clear to an idiot like me.  So far this is what I am thinking is the 'best way':
>
> -------------
> 1) create a set of blank directories to set up the whole trunk/tags/branches thing
> 2) import that into the repository under PROJECTNAME
> 3) rename current PROJECT directory and create new empty PROJECT directory
> 4) copy all file you want under VC (i.e. source) into that empty directory
> 5) import that new directory
> 6) copy everything back from copy of PROJECT directory
> 7) UPDATE the directory from the repository
>
> Now I admit I use TortoiseSVN, but this should be same either way, right?  Is there a better way to do this?

Why not just make one directory structure, containing /tags,
/branches, and /trunk, put your project sources in /trunk, and import
it all at once? Or import your existing sources, then use svn mkdir to
create tags, branches, trunk, and svn move to move the sources into
trunk.

--
bd