Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2002/11/11 12:55:14 UTC

[4.1.15] Tag tomorrow

I plan to tag and package the Tomcat 4.1.15 milestone tomorrow.

Rémy

Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Bill Barker wrote:

> >Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> >

> >>Doesn't this require a vote?
> >

> >No. The vote is when the milestone is then publicly released. Otherwise,
> >it's like a nightly, and allows getting some testing.
>

> Better would be to get the nightlies back on line (I don't have an account
> on nagoya, so I can't do it).  Amy has already posted a show-stopper for
> 4.1.15, so at the moment, my vote is "Beta".

The admin webapp works fine for me, if that's the showstopper you are
talking about.

Releasing 4.1.15 as beta might be a good idea anyway. There are lots of
changes over 4.1.12.

Remy

Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> If you are not happy with the current release process, then you can
> propose a change to it and get it voted.
> I have the feeling that nobody is happy with my contributions these
> days, for reasons that elude me. If people want me to stop RMing Tomcat,
> I can step down.

I am happy with the current release process. And _very_ happy with your
contributions.

As you know, everyone has (strong) opinions and few have diplomacy -
so it may just look otherwise :-)

Costin

Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:01:49 +0100
> From: Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow
>
> Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>
> > Remy,
> >
> > I went back and reviewed the discussion about the new version numbering.
> > And reviewed http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html which it is
> > patterned
> > after.
> >
> > You are correct, under the httpd release plan there is no vote to tag
> > and build.
> > I was confused between the old release rules and the new.  My mistake. :-)
> > And the release manager has a great deal of latitude in when they do a
> > release
> > and what is in it.
> >
> > I looked back at the email announcements when you have tagged and built
> > a new
> > release for testing and noticed that you are calling them a test
> > milestone.
> >
> > Under the httpd release rules and what we voted on there is no such
> > thing as
> > a test milestone.  When a release is done it is called Alpha until a vote
> > has been done to upgrade it to Beta or General Availability (stable).
>

> I wasn't aware of all the fine print. The difference is a bit academical
> in terms of how-stable-is-the-release, but it makes more sense (rather
> than moving and renaming releases as I have been doing). I don't like
> "General Availability" too much, so I chose to qualify stable releases
> as "Stable".

Not moving/renaming them will also get Pier off your back about the impact
this has on rsyncs to folks who mirror the Apache web sites :-).

> Remy

Craig

Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Remy,

I went back and reviewed the discussion about the new version numbering.
And reviewed http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html which it is patterned
after.

You are correct, under the httpd release plan there is no vote to tag and build.
I was confused between the old release rules and the new.  My mistake. :-)
And the release manager has a great deal of latitude in when they do a release
and what is in it.

I looked back at the email announcements when you have tagged and built a new
release for testing and noticed that you are calling them a test milestone.

Under the httpd release rules and what we voted on there is no such thing as
a test milestone.  When a release is done it is called Alpha until a vote
has been done to upgrade it to Beta or General Availability (stable).

Regards,

Glenn

Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Doesn't this require a vote?

Glenn

Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
There is a nastly little bug that crept into the manager context reload in the last
month or two.

If you do a manager reload of a context any JNDI named ressources that exist disappear.
This breaks use of the manager to reload a context which uses named resources.

I haven't found when/where this got broken yet. But it should probably be fixed
before the next release.  I filed a bugzilla report on this.

Regards,

Glenn