Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@sc.com> on 2004/12/03 03:54:23 UTC

Stubs

OK so David discovered that Tcl stubs don't work quite right with
mod_rivet, and we're now building without stubs.  Thanks, David, that
was a pain.

I want to note that the other two shared libraries built with Rivet,
the Tcl shared libraries librivet.so and librivetparser.so did work OK
with stubs.

Now I acknowledge that you compile differently for stubs versus not,
but interestingly automake generates Makefiles so paranoid, they
compile the C files separately for each library they're being linked
against, meaning that it is technically possible to create the
librivet*.so libraries linked against Tcl stubs (for those not in the
know, a technique that kind of bypasses the system's native shared
libraries and does shared libraries in such a way that, for example, a
Tcl 8.5 program can still used shared libraries built for Tcl 8.4)
while still linking mod_rivet.so tied to a specific Tcl library (i.e.
no stubs).

Re: Stubs

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@sc.com> writes:

> OK so David discovered that Tcl stubs don't work quite right with
> mod_rivet, and we're now building without stubs.  Thanks, David,
> that was a pain.

> I want to note that the other two shared libraries built with Rivet,
> the Tcl shared libraries librivet.so and librivetparser.so did work
> OK with stubs.

Sure, but they are sort of the icing on the cake, so to speak.

> Now I acknowledge that you compile differently for stubs versus not,
> but interestingly automake generates Makefiles so paranoid, they
> compile the C files separately for each library they're being linked
> against, meaning that it is technically possible to create the
> librivet*.so libraries linked against Tcl stubs (for those not in
> the know, a technique that kind of bypasses the system's native
> shared libraries and does shared libraries in such a way that, for
> example, a Tcl 8.5 program can still used shared libraries built for
> Tcl 8.4) while still linking mod_rivet.so tied to a specific Tcl
> library (i.e. no stubs).

Sure.  If we can figure out a way to do that with auto*.  I'm not
going to complain if we don't get that figured out though:-)

--
David N. Welton
Personal:                   http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/