Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Ken <ke...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/13 03:03:12 UTC

Phoenix Client Backwards Compatibility

I'd like to build an application that talks to multiple Hbase clusters using Phoenix
I understand that those clusters might have different hbase versions and thus different phoenix-server versions
However ideally on our application side we only need to install one phoenix-client.jar
I was wondering if the phoenix-client is fully backwards compatible

i.e Can I use the latest phoenix-client to talk to all older versions phoenix-server?

Re: Phoenix Client Backwards Compatibility

Posted by Istvan Toth <st...@apache.org>.
A bit more context:

Older Phoenix clients are somewhat forward-compatible with newer servers,
but newer clients are definitely not backwards compatible with older
servers.
see https://phoenix.apache.org/upgrading.html
You also need to make sure that you do not try to use a client that
includes a newer HBase with an older HBase cluster.

With Phoenix Query Server, you can run a (or more) query server per
cluster, and use the same thin client to connect to each one.

Istvan

Posted by Sukumar Maddineni <sm...@salesforce.com>.

--

<https://smart.salesforce.com/sig/smaddineni//us_mb/default/link.html>