Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2003/01/23 15:59:24 UTC

Re: mail clients (was: Integration of Peter's work)

It's not only about the HTML. It's also about the "In-Reply-To" and/or "References"
header entry. Some mail clients have a thread view (as a tree) and not
having these header entries involves attaching mails manually to the
thread.

On 23.01.2003 15:54:04 Victor Mote wrote:
> If you're using Outlook, there is a checkbox on the "Name" tab of the
> Address Book Properties screen that says "Send E-Mail using plain text only"
> which may help with the text/html issue. The "Mail Options" tab of the Tools
> / Options menu has a more global setting that does the same thing. If there
> are other things about Outlook that are problems, I don't know what they
> are.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: mail clients (was: Integration of Peter's work)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Yours are ok. You can check yourself for the In-Reply-To header.

On 23.01.2003 19:17:48 Victor Mote wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > It's not only about the HTML. It's also about the "In-Reply-To"
> > and/or "References"
> > header entry. Some mail clients have a thread view (as a tree) and not
> > having these header entries involves attaching mails manually to the
> > thread.
>
> Hmmm. I use Outlook & it does this for me. Are my emails coming through
> messed up?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: mail clients (was: Integration of Peter's work)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Jörg and I started a list of good and bad clients near the bottom of the
Wiki page below:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?FOPDevelopersStyleGuide

On 23.01.2003 16:02:40 Rhett Aultman wrote:
> Well, I suppose that I can look into changing this up, then...can you
> recommend a client that sends those headers?  I don't think the
> web-based client I use does, either, so switching to that one solves
> nothing.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: mail clients (was: Integration of Peter's work)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I can't remember any. Do you know about gmane (http://www.gmane.org)?
You could try to have the FOP lists registrated there. Other Apache
projects have done the same.

On 23.01.2003 16:42:09 Patrick Dean Rusk wrote:
> For my part, I've never understood why people seem to prefer mailing lists
> to NTTP newsgroups.  Has there ever been a discussion about moving to a
> newsgroup?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: mail clients (was: Integration of Peter's work)

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
I use Mozilla 1.2.1 and your msgs come through fine for me.

:-)

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

Re: mail clients (was: Integration of Peter's work)

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Victor Mote wrote:
>>It's not only about the HTML. It's also about the "In-Reply-To"
>>and/or "References"
>>header entry. Some mail clients have a thread view (as a tree) and not
>>having these header entries involves attaching mails manually to the
>>thread.
>

> Hmmm. I use Outlook & it does this for me. Are my emails coming through
> messed up?

Some "view source" in Moz reveals a few things.
There is no In-Reply-To nor a References header in Rhett's mail,
but there is
  From Jeremias Mail
  From Victor:

I guess MS Exchange wants to impose it's own method for threading
on the unsuspecting rest of the world.

Another MUA (or MTA?) which provides only the most basic mail
headers identifies itself as
and is rather often seen, unfortunately some prolific posters
on XML-DEV use it. Somehow, however, Mozilla often threads these
messages to the start message of the thread rather than starting
a wholly new one.

Additional mailers which seems to be ok
Both In-Reply-To and References:
      (that's Nicola Ken's patch queue script)

I left out newer versions of working programs.
The cluster of "big names" in the "not ok" section is a bit
dissapointing, isn't it? At least, IMB has finally seen the
light now (Notes 6), and MS already a bit earlier.

J.Pietschmann

RE: mail clients (was: Integration of Peter's work)

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.

Posted by Martin Stricker <sh...@gmx.de>.
Patrick Dean Rusk wrote:

> For my part, I've never understood why people seem to prefer mailing
> lists to NTTP newsgroups.  Has there ever been a discussion about
> moving to a newsgroup?

Security and spam are bad with newsgroups. Furthermore, there are no
archives for newsgroups (well, you could see
http://www.groups.google.com/ as such, but I prefer to download a mbox
file and use my favoured mailer (mutt) instead of meddling with a web
interface).

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 7.3 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/

Re: mail clients (was: Integration of Peter's work)

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Patrick Dean Rusk wrote:
> For my part, I've never understood why people seem to prefer mailing lists
> to NTTP newsgroups.  Has there ever been a discussion about moving to a
> newsgroup?
Probably security stuff, old practice and archiving. But anyway, what's wrong
with mail list? Please, no more revolutions :)

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team

RE: mail clients (was: Integration of Peter's work)

Posted by Patrick Dean Rusk <Pa...@attbi.com>.