Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com> on 2012/10/16 00:12:34 UTC

Stop instance is destroying my VM

Hi there,
                What did we internally invoke when user is stopping VM instance from CloudStack UI? It seems that it did more than shutdown VM from XenCenter. After this operation, my VM disappeared from XenCenter console. If I manually do shutdown from XenCenter UI, I can see that my VM is still there with stopped status.
                Thanks
                -min

Re: Stop instance is destroying my VM

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
In CloudStack, stop means to power off the VM (with a force optional),
destroy means to delete the VM.

It's sort of confusing, because 'destroy' tends to mean 'force shut
down' in KVM/libvirt and Xen rather than deleting.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
To an ordinary user, there is no concept of a hypervisor: the only VM
state machine she interacts with is CloudStack's.

Posted by Alena Prokharchyk <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Alena Prokharchyk <Al...@citrix.com>.
On 10/16/12 10:04 AM, "Min Chen" <mi...@citrix.com> wrote:

>Thanks Alena, So destroying an already stopped VM is just updating
>CloudStack DB without interacting with hypervisor, do we send hypervisor
>command when we expunge the
>destroyed VM?

Yes.

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.