Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Bill ENnis <bi...@serverside-ts.com> on 2009/06/02 17:22:00 UTC

Newbie proxy problems

I recently downloaded HttpClient and HttpCore and am trying to pull down
information from various web pages.
I need to do this from behind a web proxy. I did see an example with the
downloads named ClientExecuteProxy.
However, this example doesn't seem to use Proxy Authentication and I need to
autheticate. Also, not sure
why the host names external are not resolving. When I try to run I get the
following errors. I suppose this could be
a problem with not having autheticated with the proxy but I do not know the
intricacies of the proxy to know for sure.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

HTTP/1.0 500 Internal Proxy Error
Proxy-Connection: Close
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H2>The requested URL could not be retrieved</H2>
<HR>
<P>
While trying to retrieve the URL:
http://www.serverside-ts.com/ http://www.serverside-ts.com/
<P>
The following error was encountered:
<BLOCKQUOTE>
Unable to determine IP address from host name for
unknown server name
</BLOCKQUOTE>
</UL>
This means that:
<PRE>
 The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
 Check if the address is correct.
</PRE>
</P>

<hr noshade size=1>
Generated Tue, 02 Jun 2009 15:20:32 GMT by cce4-ch8
( http://www.cisco.com/ Application and Content Networking System Software
5.3.7 )
</BODY></HTML>

Re: Newbie proxy problems

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Bill ENnis wrote:
> I recently downloaded HttpClient and HttpCore and am trying to pull down
> information from various web pages.
> I need to do this from behind a web proxy. I did see an example with the
> downloads named ClientExecuteProxy.
> However, this example doesn't seem to use Proxy Authentication and I need to
> autheticate.

Bill,

Please have a look at the HttpClient tutorial.

http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/HttpClientTutorial

  Also, not sure
> why the host names external are not resolving. When I try to run I get the
> following errors.

This I cannot tell. I suspect this is an issue with DNS hostname
resolution on the proxy side.

Oleg