Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by su...@fourthstage.com on 2001/05/02 00:44:10 UTC

SOAP-USER:Transfer of >100kb file from Server to Client on SOAP

Hello,

Client calls the SOAP object on server for a file of 200 kb size. The
server SOAP object reads the file loads it to the vector line by line
and puts in the vector. The vector being received at the client is used
to re-create the file.

The problem is -- I am able to transfer only less than 70 kb. Is there a
better way of doing it with SOAP?

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Regards,
Sundar

Re: SOAP-USER:Transfer of >100kb file from Server to Client on SOAP

Posted by Wouter Cloetens <wo...@mind.be>.
No. There is not always a back channel. There are many situations where
the content needs to remain with its metadata, transmitted in a SOAP
envelope. One reason may be security (hello, if I submit sensitive data
from a system on an intranet, I (1) can't just allow an ftp session in
and (2) won't let anyone get unencrypted data), another the transient nature
of the content, yet another the fact that there is no provision in the
SOAP specification (or WSDL) to specify a link to an external document
in a uniform manner.

You are right in your statement that it is not the most efficient way
to transfer large volumes of data...

bfn, Wouter

Posted by Wouter Cloetens <wo...@mind.be>.

Posted by Silvio Fiorito <si...@ntr.net>.
Well, the project I'm working on requires sending files ranging from only
1MB up to and exceeding 30MB. We have "nodes" that *must* use HTTPS to get
around firewall issues. We don't want customers to have to get their IT dept
involved to open up ports and stuff (our previous version required this and
it was hell). As long as the customer has access to the web they can use our
app. They just download the software from our site and run it. Communication
is one-way (nodes->datacenter) through SOAP. The node gets an instruction to
send a file to a specified URL. The file is then sent using regular HTTPS
POST (not SOAP) and the datacenter reads it in. Done.

Works well so far for us,
Silvio

RE: SOAP-USER:Transfer of >100kb file from Server to Client on SOAP

Posted by "Gopinath M.R." <mr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,
  IMHO this is not the right way to use SOAP over HTTP.  If the data is
large and can be obtained efficiently using other transport protocols
like FTP, you better put the file in FTP server and send the information
about the file as SOAP message (containing filename, path, ftp server
address, login, password etc).  SOAP can be used to transfer the minimum
size data or sending information about huge data.
Any comments ???

regards,
Gopinath .M.R.
Sr.Product Engineer,