Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2004/02/13 17:37:01 UTC

Re: how change sitetree.xml

Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> Sitetree is an interface....DefaultSiteTree is an implementation. This
> decouples "SiteTree" clients from the underlying class serving the
> method calls on the interface.
>
> I still think the DefaultSiteTree is the problem....it copies only
> special tags and attributes from the authoring to live area's sitetree.

we need to carefully consider this. if we open the floodgates to full
extensibility, we may end up with a situation where the sitetree is
becoming unwieldy with dozens of attributes (sort of a central database)

i remember permathreads about this on the forrest list, not sure really
what a good balance would be

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: how change sitetree.xml

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
>> Sitetree is an interface....DefaultSiteTree is an implementation. This
>> decouples "SiteTree" clients from the underlying class serving the
>> method calls on the interface.
>>
>> I still think the DefaultSiteTree is the problem....it copies only
>> special tags and attributes from the authoring to live area's sitetree.
>

> we need to carefully consider this. if we open the floodgates to full
> extensibility, we may end up with a situation where the sitetree is
> becoming unwieldy with dozens of attributes (sort of a central database)

Why is this bad? Isn't that what hierarchical configuration XML is for?

best,
-Rob

Re: how change sitetree.xml

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 17:37, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
> > Sitetree is an interface....DefaultSiteTree is an implementation. This
> > decouples "SiteTree" clients from the underlying class serving the
> > method calls on the interface.
> >
> > I still think the DefaultSiteTree is the problem....it copies only
> > special tags and attributes from the authoring to live area's sitetree.
>
> we need to carefully consider this. if we open the floodgates to full
> extensibility, we may end up with a situation where the sitetree is
> becoming unwieldy with dozens of attributes (sort of a central database)
>
> i remember permathreads about this on the forrest list, not sure really
> what a good balance would be

You are right. We had a discussion in lenya lists, too.
But, I have the requirement to hide nodes of the sitetree i.e. from
menu. Thus I have to "mark" sitetree nodes for exclusion.

How can I achieve the exclusion? My first idea was to "markup" things in
the sitetree.

We need a kind of "user exit".

    Rolf Kulemann