Posted to dev@ratis.apache.org by Rui Wang <am...@apache.org> on 2021/01/27 05:09:06 UTC

[Proposal] Support Learner (non-voting member) in Ratis

Hi Community,

I am thinking that we can start to add the non-voting member, or leaner
that is proposed in Raft thesis 4.2.1 (you can find a copy at [1]).

The leaner is useful to maintain high availability when new servers join
Raft ring (details at thesis 4.2.1). For Ozone SCM HA effort, we have also
discussed the possibility to utilize leaner as the tool to replace SCM
nodes online.

What do you think? Any objection or concern to not support leaner in
Ratis?

[1]: https://github.com/ongardie/dissertation

Thanks,
Rui Wang

Re: [Proposal] Support Learner (non-voting member) in Ratis

Posted by Jitendra Pandey <jn...@gmail.com>.
+1, it will be a useful feature.

Posted by Rui Wang <am...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shashikant Banerjee <sb...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.