Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> on 2021/03/31 23:27:40 UTC

[DISCUSS] Jira isssue type: "Support"

Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of looking through untriaged bugs. There is a pattern
of many issues that are essentially user questions. It is often ambiguous
if the problem is their pipeline (often) or an issue with a core component
(possible).

Has anyone else seen this pattern or is it just me? Would it be useful to
have a new issue type for "Support" or "User Issue"? It may send the wrong
message. We can keep them as "Bug" because until we figure it out we should
assume there might be a bug. I expect as we scale up this will be more and
more of Jira.

What do you think? I think I have looked at too many issues in a row and I
need an outside opinion.

I'm also curious what other ASF/OSS projects do.

Kenn

Re: [DISCUSS] Jira isssue type: "Support"

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.
I think that now I see your point better  In this case, if we are 100% sure that it’s not a bug and it can be solved or workarounded by a proper configuration or in other way, I suggest to close such Jiras with a “Not a bug” resolution and add a comment where ask user to post this as a question on user@ or write there a known solution/workaround for that (or a link to user@/SO similar question).

If we are not sure that it’s not bug, let’s label it with, for example, "user-issue” label until it will be triaged finally by someone who knows this component better.

I’m not sure that any automation will work for this, it will just bring more duplicated/not informative emails to user@.

Alexey

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.