Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Roddewig <ro...@1337net.dyndns.org> on 2003/02/03 02:07:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Port Binding Problems

I have apache 1.3.27 running on win2k pro and it seems to be having trouble with which port to bind to. When I run netstat it lists the only binding as port http which I assume is invalid. There is nothing bound to port 80 though I have configured httpd.conf to listen to that port and the default port is set at 80. The mail server which listens to port 82 on my server is running fine so there is obviously not a problem with the router. Apache does not display any errors when booting up and I can access it by typing in the url and so can anybody within the network but if you try to access it from outside the network it doesn't work i.e. nothing. Any ideas?

Re: [users@httpd] Port Binding Problems

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Jeff Cohen wrote:

>Hi Gary,
>
>Try to run from the command prompt:
>telnet 127.0.0.1 80
>see what you get, if you connect than it's working, otherwise, check to see
>maybe you also have "port 80" or other port number specified in your conf
>file.

Hey, Jeff--this is actually Michael's little prob.  I postfix (quite
properly, I might add ;P).  When I replied to his 450 column lines, my
mailer quote marked the head of the lines but not the part my mailer
wrapped. :)

[...]

>> From: Gary Turner [mailto:kk5st@sbcglobal.net]

[...]

>> Michael Roddewig wrote:
>>
>> Please set word wrap.  A sane value is 72 columns.
>>

>From here...

>> >I have apache 1.3.27 running on win2k pro and it seems to be having
>> trouble with which port to bind to. When I run netstat it lists the only
>> binding as port http which I assume is invalid. There is nothing bound to
>> port 80 though I have configured httpd.conf to listen to that port and the
>> default port is set at 80. The mail server which listens to port 82 on my
>> server is running fine so there is obviously not a problem with the
>> router.

...to here, is just one line!

>> Presuming your router employees NAT, it means your IP/port forwarding is
>> set up OK for port 82.

This was part of my reply, ^

>> > Apache does not display any errors when booting up and I can access it
>> by typing in the url and so can anybody within the network but if you try
>> to access it from outside the network it doesn't work i.e. nothing. Any
>> ideas?

And this ^ is another long line.

<snip the rest :) >

--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---

RE: [users@httpd] Port Binding Problems

Posted by Jeff Cohen <ap...@gej-it.com>.
Hi Gary,

Try to run from the command prompt:
telnet 127.0.0.1 80
see what you get, if you connect than it's working, otherwise, check to see
maybe you also have "port 80" or other port number specified in your conf
file.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.