Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2007/11/21 06:26:27 UTC

Happy Thanksgiving

This Thursday is the Thanksgiving holiday in the USA.  I will not be
checking emails or doing any coding until next week and I expect that
other US based developers will also be spending time with families
and friends and not hanging out on the mailing or bug lists.

I've just committed a slew of new code related to SocketAppender and
SocketHubAppender.  Those appenders have been disabled for several
years and before that were platform specific and could not
interoperate with Chainsaw.  The intent of the fixes is to move those
appenders to using the existing log4j event serialization format to
enable connecting log4cxx to Chainsaw.  I've tested the serialized
form of the logging events with log4j which was able to consume them,
but my very quick test with Chainsaw resulted in a connection
failure.  I'll resume testing that when I get back.

The SocketAppender changes also resulted in changes to
XMLSocketAppender and TelnetAppender which were previously
functional.  I did a quick sanity check of TelnetAppender and was
able to connect.  I have not tested XMLSocketAppender since the changes.

With the LOGCXX-7 out of the way, that only leaves LOGCXX-1 as the
big long standing bug that needs to be addressed.