Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/27 04:53:20 UTC

Re: stunning error - Request of length 1550939497 is not valid, it is larger than the maximum size of 104857600 bytes

Ramya, Todd, Jiefu, David,

Sorry to drag up an ancient thread. I was looking for something in my email archives, and ran across this, and I might have solved part of these mysteries.

I ran across this post that talked about seeing weirdly large allocations when incorrect requests are accidentally sent to a port expecting a binary protocol. https://rachelbythebay.com/w/2016/02/21/malloc/

I took those finding and applied them to the weird big numbers you were seeing.

Ramya, Jiefu, about your allocation of 1347375956:
1347375956 converted to hex is 504F5354
504F5354 converted to ascii is the letters "POST"
So, someone sent a POST request to your Kafka broker by accident!

David, about your allocation of 1550939497:
1550939497 converted to hex is 5C717569
5C717569 converted to ascii is "\qui"
Maybe that's the beginning of the word "\quit"? Is there some protocol that uses the word "\quit"? Like IRC or SMTP or IMAP something? I'm not sure.

Anyway, thought you might find that interesting!

-James

Posted by Onur Karaman <on...@gmail.com>.
@James: that was incredible. Thank you.