Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Benson, Dave L." <Da...@Donaldson.com> on 2016/09/27 18:18:37 UTC

Linux patch with Apache update changing permissions on SVN files

We are running Linux

Linux xxxxxxxxxx.xxx.com 2.6.32-504.12.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Feb 1 12:14:02 EST 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

We are also using Collabnet - SubversionEdge:
Information
Software version

3.2.1-3360.104

Subversion version

1.7.7-3360.104

Over the weekend out techgroup rolled out a patch that apparently included an Apache update.

Many of our directories and files under
/svn/cnsvnedge
Were owned by apache , group apache
This was especially true under /svn/cnsvnedge/data  - where the repositories live, and /svn/cnsvnedge/conf where config files live.

During the patching the permissions to all of these were set back to a level where only apache could run them, but cnsvnedge runs as webadm on our box.  As a result we were not able to start SubversionEdge using  'csvn start'.

I was logging into the server with my private account and doing a
sudo to apache before trying to start the service.

This has worked numerous times in the past.

Here is how it goes:

cd /svn/cnsvnedge
sudo -u apache bash
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/default
bin/csvn start

I get this error and it quits

/sbin/runuser: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted

Our techgroup was able to reassign groups and permissions to directories and files to at least start Edge and eventually allow write access to our repos.  But this runuser issues persists so our standard shutdown/startup procedures do not work anymore.

Any help would be appreciated on what Apache did to us and how to get things back to normal.

NOTE:  I am not a subscribed user (yet).
David L. Benson | Senior Application Developer
Donaldson Co., Inc | COMPASS - RICEW/Development Team
Phone: 952-887-3823
david.benson@donaldson.com<ma...@donaldson.com> | www.donaldson.com<http://www.donaldson.com/>
Thank you for considering the environmental impact of printing emails.

[cid:image001.jpg@01D149EB.28481590]
Click here to access IT Self Service <https://donaldsonhelp.service-now.com/catalog_home.do?sysparm_view=catalog_default>
How to open an IT support ticket<https://donaldsonhelp.service-now.com/kb_view_customer.do?sysparm_article=KB0000981>