Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2006/09/19 18:24:46 UTC

Re: [vmi] showing help text

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2006, at 11:02 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
<snip>
>>> I'm going to modify the launcher to pass "-help" into the VM when it's
>>> been named "java*" so that it behaves like the tools that come with the
>>> Sun's, BEA's and IBM's impelmentation.
>>
>> As I mentioned before, you if you pass "-help" or "-showversion" in the
>> creation of the IBM or Sun VM you will get an error, e.g.:
>>
>>   C:\temp\sample>test
>>   JVMJ9VM007E Command-line option unrecognised: -help
>>   Failed to create VM with rc=-6.
>>
>> These command-line flags are handled by the launcher (not the VM).
>
> I need to test that for Sun via a launcher, as just doing "java -help"
> w/ the sun JRE works as expected - it prints help.

Sun's VM (1.5.0_06) does the same thing:
  C:\temp\sample>test
  Unrecognized option: -help
  Failed to create VM with rc=-1.

BTW I'm using the test program I posted here, but passing in "-help":
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200609.mbox/%3c45092A90.8010709@gmail.com%3e

>> Since in Harmony there is not a 1:1 correlation of launcher to VM
>> implementation you will have to either print out generic help in the
>> launcher (bad) or go for an extension to the VM interface to get/print
>> help text.
>
> How about passing -help to the VM?  I don't grok the downside to this.
> DRLVM works this way now.   that way any localization issues are up to
> the VM provider.

I'm just pointing out that not all VMs will grok that option, so the
launcher should not assume they will.

We can add a requirement to the VMI that VMs can answer/print their help
text, but right now we have no such thing.  Existing VMs will fail to
initialize (unless you set ignoreUnrecognized, in which case you won't
get help text of course).

> Having the launcher print out help based on the executable name would be
> bad - it has to be some thing else.

I don't see that we could do that anyway, since the launcher is always
java.exe, and different VMs will have different help text.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [vmi] showing help text

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Weird - this showed up this morning on my machine.  Sorry about delay.

On Sep 20, 2006, at 7:39 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:

> I think we are agreeing, but have (at least) two things muddled up, so
> let me try and clarify:
>
> 1) Users want VM-specific help text when they use the Harmony launcher
> and run "java -help".
>
> 2) Users want tool-specific help when they use the tools launcher,
> e.g.
> "javac -help".

Yes - which is the same problem, IMO - users want specific help for
whatever "program" they are running (java, javac, javah, javap)

> Dealing with them in reverse order...
>
> For (2) the tools launcher passes command-line args to the tools code,
> so javac -help will be translated into something like:
>   java -cp tools.jar o.a.h.tools.javac.Main -help

yep

> It is the tool code itself that gets the help flag and shows help
> text.
>  Incidentally, this is how the launcher works today (but see footnote
> below).
>
> For case (1) above, the launcher will have to ask the VM to print its
> help text, based on whichever VM is being invoked.  This is a new
> requirement for Harmony-compatible VMs that will require a change
> to the
> VM interface.  I'm not saying that is bad, and we can debate how to
> provide it (i.e. is it a VMI function call or an extension to the
> JNI_CreateJavaVM functionality, etc.)

I guess I don't grok why we need a change to the VM interface.  Why
not just pass it through as a VM arg like we do now (for DRLVM
anyway) in the same way we pass -X<whatever> ?

> Was there anything I missed?
>
> Footnote : I suggest that we extract the tools-based code in the
> current
> launcher, and make the tools launcher a simpler program that re-writes
> the command-line and exec()'s the generic launcher.  Putting these two
> cases into the same source file only confuses things.  (yes I know it
> was me that did that<g>)

Hm.  Interesting idea.  I actually don't mind it as is though.

geir

Re: [vmi] showing help text

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: [vmi] showing help text