Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Richard Dunne <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2007/12/15 00:34:28 UTC

CATALINA_HOME

I have just download Apache Tomcat 6.  I have configured tomcat according to http://www.coreservlets.com/Apache-Tomcat-Tutorial/#Catalina-Home.
My Tomcat directory is c:\Tomcat6\apache-tomcat-6.0.14.  I tried starting startup.bat but got the error:
The CATALINA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly This environment variable is needed to run this program
My CATALINA_HOME environment variable is set to c:\Tomcat6\apache-tomcat-6.0.14\conf

Can anyone advise, any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard.

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Re: CATALINA_HOME

Posted by David Wall <d....@computer.org>.
> My Tomcat directory is c:\Tomcat6\apache-tomcat-6.0.14.  I tried starting startup.bat but got the error:
> The CATALINA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly This environment variable is needed to run this program
> My CATALINA_HOME environment variable is set to c:\Tomcat6\apache-tomcat-6.0.14\conf

Drop the "\conf" directory as catalina home should point to the tomcat
base for most deployments and not the conf folder.

Also, if you are using the Windows Tomcat Monitor process, this value
should be set in the Java tab where you configure things, with an entry
like -Dcatalina.home=c:\Tomcat6\apache-tomcat-6.0.14

Note that I'm only running 5.5, so pardon my answer if it doesn't apply
to 6.

David

Re: CATALINA_HOME

Posted by Naaag <na...@btpsoft.com>.

Re: CATALINA_HOME

Posted by Naaag <na...@btpsoft.com>.

Richard Dunne wrote:

> I have just download Apache Tomcat 6.  I have configured tomcat according
> to http://www.coreservlets.com/Apache-Tomcat-Tutorial/#Catalina-Home.
> My Tomcat directory is c:\Tomcat6\apache-tomcat-6.0.14.  I tried starting
> startup.bat but got the error:
> The CATALINA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly This
> environment variable is needed to run this program
> My CATALINA_HOME environment variable is set to
> c:\Tomcat6\apache-tomcat-6.0.14\conf
>
> Can anyone advise, any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard.

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

Hi Richard,
CATALINA_HOME  variable should always contains basic tomcat instalation
directory.
so u should set this variable to ur tomcat instalation  directrory.

eg:If i installed tomcat 6.0 in c:\tomcat 6.0,then we should set catalina
home as CATALINA_HOME=c:\tomcat 6.0

what u have done wrong is,you added extra folder conf.
you have installed ur tomcat in c:\Tomcat6\apache-tomcat-6.0.14 directory.
so ur catalina is CATALINA_HOME=c:\Tomcat6\apache-tomcat-6.0.14 directory.
ok
bye
Nag