Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2018/03/07 23:12:08 UTC

DISCUSSION: "branch RM" roles for non-released branches branch-1, branch-2, and master

(Moving discussion to DISCUSSION thread from "NOTICE: made branch-2.0
from..." -- my fault for starting it in wrong place)

A while back, Andrew made a PROPOSAL for 'branch RM's [1]. I like this
suggestion. I see it as a means of avoiding the hell that was 2.0.0 where
its taken near on a year to stabilize (first alpha was last year) because
it has over 5k JIRAs in it; RMs can help keep their branch tidy and free of
flotsam.

Andrew added more to his notion of 'branch RM' over in the NOTICE thread. I
repeat it below:

"​For a while leading up to 1.4.0 I was effectively the branch-1 RM in
practice. Slacked off a bit since, but I'd like to continue with that if
you're agreeable. I think that branch RM role involves informally:
- Keeping an eye on commits to branch. Periodic review of recent commits.
Not acting as a gate on commits and not needing to be pinged or in the loop
for every commit, except perhaps for short periods of time around branching
for new minors.
- Keeping an eye on test stability. Undertaking get well projects like
bisecting and reverting offending commits to resolve test suite decay.
- Periodically kicking off new minor releases. Depends on branch and need
for what's on deck."

Interested in what folks think.
St.Ack

1. *https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/247697bcfb97adeeec2d14241856ca7a77a167c9efe0dbc83b0a746f@%3Cdev.hbase.apache.org%3E

Re: DISCUSSION: "branch RM" roles for non-released branches branch-1, branch-2, and master

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> If somebody volunteers to be the caretaker for 1.5.0, is there an
implicit expectation that they would take on the responsibilities for
branch-1 as well?

Not as I originally proposed.

We will get away from RMs per branch for e.g. branch-1.y and focus on RMs
for each branch-x (and master). We are wasting precious RM effort on
branches that only produce patch releases. We should be focusing this
limited attention on branches that produce minor releases, and increase the
cadence of minor releases. This does not preclude maintenance of "long term
stable" patch release branches, like branch-1.2.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: DISCUSSION: "branch RM" roles for non-released branches branch-1, branch-2, and master

Posted by Chia-Ping Tsai <ch...@apache.org>.
> frequent. For example, I'm going to be done with branch-1.4 in six months
> and on to branch-1.5. (Hypothetically.) Anyone is welcome to RM those
> branch-x.y. As long as someone is actively RMing branch-x.y it stays alive.
> That's how we'd come to a consensus on what is long term stable.
I love the idea! The previous release schedule exhausts RMs and increase fragmentation of HBase.

So if no other people try to RM the MINOR release, the following will come true
1) no PATCH release
2) a MINOR release per 6 months
3) a MAJOR release per 2.5 years (6 months * 5 minor releases, it means we release 3.0 and 2.4/2.5 at the same time)
In this scenario, 3 branch RMs manage our all releases. (branch-1, branch-2, and master)

If someone(PMC, committer, or ?) want to RM the minor release(Only latest minor release can be RM? Or we can active any retired MINOR release?)
1) a patch release per 2 week (6 months / 10 patch releases, or issue-trigger?)

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
For the number of patch release, I think it depends on the speed we add new
features. The more features contained in a minor release, the more patch
releases we need. Of course a responsible RM will also trigger more
releases.

What I want to say is, we do not need to set a hard limit on the interval
between patch releases which may spend too much time for the RM, or force
users to upgrade to a new minor version because we will not make new patch
release for a previous minor version even it contains several critical bugs
since minor release could still break things according to our compatible
matrix. Just release on demand. I believe for the coming 2.0 and 2.1
release line, we will have (kinda) lots of fixes even after the final minor
release since there are lots of new features. It will be strange that we
just release a (kinda) buggy version and then tell users we will not fix it
any more, just upgrade to new minor versions...

And I think making releases should be part of the work of all PMCs.
Honestly say I'm not doing well in this area, and so do lots of others
PMCs. Will try to take more responsibility in the future.

Thanks.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Apekshit Sharma <ap...@cloudera.com>.

--

-- Appy

Re: DISCUSSION: "branch RM" roles for non-released branches branch-1, branch-2, and master

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

​

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: DISCUSSION: "branch RM" roles for non-released branches branch-1, branch-2, and master

Posted by Apekshit Sharma <ap...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.