Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Vilar Camara Neto <vi...@hotmail.com> on 2004/05/23 14:46:14 UTC

Re: Commit error: "The version resource does not correspond to theresource within the transaction."

Hello,

> You're getting a generic out-of-date message, meaning that the server
> isn't letting you change something, because you don't have the latest
> version of it.  In this case, it's probably the fact that you changed
> properties on a directory.  One of Subversion's restrictions is that you
> cannot commit a directory propchange unless your working copy of the
> directory is at HEAD.

Thanks, for the explanation.  But here's my scenario:  My system is
configured to allow only one user (that's me :-) ) and I've checkout only
one copy of it, so I'm always working at HEAD, right?  In fact, I'm not
using SVN to manage collab development, but just as a personal versioning
tool.

Mmmm, maybe here's a tip:  I think I never did a checkout since the very
first Rev 0.  I mean, I did a series of modifs/commits, never needed
checkouts.  The last successful commit (say, Rev 6) didn't include any dir
propchanges.  So I'm wondering:  Maybe this commit trial (to Rev 7) is
*thinking* that the local directory is out-of-date, because the last dir
propchange was made, say, in Rev 4?  It *is* at HEAD, but maybe the SVN
client didn't update this info since Rev 4...

> So run 'svn update' to bring your entire working copy to HEAD.  Then
> commit.

I already tried it, an it worked.  But I think this is just a workaround,
the real thing isn't addressed yet...

Anyway, I have a backup of client and server files, so I can restore it and
give informations as if the problem was still happening.

Best regards,

Vilar Camara Neto

Re: Commit error: "The version resource does not correspond to theresource within the transaction."

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 10:16, John Peacock wrote:
> Vilar Camara Neto wrote:
> >>So run 'svn update' to bring your entire working copy to HEAD.  Then
> >>commit.
> >

> > I already tried it, an it worked.  But I think this is just a workaround,
> > the real thing isn't addressed yet...
>
> No, it isn't a workaround; it is the nature of working with mixed revision
> working copies.  Even though *you* are the only one working with the WC and the
> only one committing to the repository, you must 'svn up' before certain
> operations, otherwise the software assumes you are not up to date.  Just doing
> 'svn ci' is not sufficient in the general case.

Vilar, you need to understand that your working copy has mixed revision
numbers.  This happens after *every* commit, and is completely normal.
If you never, ever run 'svn update', then your working will become more
and more "mixed" as time goes on.

Please read chapter 2;  it explains all this.  The critical section is
at the end, "The Limitation of Mixed Revisions."

Re: Commit error: "The version resource does not correspond to theresource within the transaction."

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Vilar Camara Neto wrote:
>>So run 'svn update' to bring your entire working copy to HEAD.  Then
>>commit.
>

> I already tried it, an it worked.  But I think this is just a workaround,
> the real thing isn't addressed yet...

No, it isn't a workaround; it is the nature of working with mixed revision
working copies.  Even though *you* are the only one working with the WC and the
only one committing to the repository, you must 'svn up' before certain
operations, otherwise the software assumes you are not up to date.  Just doing
'svn ci' is not sufficient in the general case.

In fact, running 'svn up' will likely do nothing to your working copy except
mark it as being up to date.  A 'svn ci' will never make your working copy up to
date, because in the general case (with multiple committers), you may be missing
changes made to the repository and need to merge them with your local copy
before being able to make a consistent commit.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock