Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/04/25 22:55:22 UTC

[logging] possible errors in child first cases [WAS Re: [logging] issues highlighted by analysis]

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 23:59 -0700, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> --- robert burrell donkin

<snip>

> When I ran these, for every child-first case the
> sysout output said the caller was defined by the child
> loader.
>
> [java] Caller        defined by CHILD  class loader
>
> For 18, 20, 26, 28, 30 and 32, the overview says
> caller should be loaded by the parent.  Haven't had a
> chance to try to see why, but this could be the cause
> of some problems.

that's interesting.

i've rerun the tests on my machine and all those tests seem to have the
caller defined correctly. (i don't seem to have anything which isn't
check in.) i'm running Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_04-b05,
mixed mode) on linux at the moment.

anyone else experiencing these problems?

- robert

     [java] Running case 18...
     [java] Child context classloader: false
     [java] Child first: true
     [java] JCL           defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Log4j         defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Static Logger defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Caller        defined by PARENT class loader

     [java] Running case 20...
     [java] Child context classloader: true
     [java] Child first: true
     [java] JCL           defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Log4j         defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Static Logger defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Caller        defined by PARENT class loader

     [java] Running case 26...
     [java] Child context classloader: false
     [java] Child first: true
     [java] JCL           defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Log4j         defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Static Logger defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Caller        defined by PARENT class loader

     [java] Running case 28...
     [java] Child context classloader: true
     [java] Child first: true
     [java] JCL           defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Log4j         defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Static Logger defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Caller        defined by PARENT class loader

     [java] Running case 30...
     [java] Child context classloader: false
     [java] Child first: true
     [java] JCL           defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Log4j         defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Static Logger defined by CHILD  class loader
     [java] Caller        defined by PARENT class loader

     [java] Running case 32...

Re: [logging] possible errors in child first cases

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 23:01 -0700, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> Sorry to waste your time; false alarm. The child-first
> cases are fine.  Somehow my commons-logging.jar had
> everything but the kitchen sink in it, including the
> demonstration code.
>
> Good news is with that problem fixed and a refactored
> LogFactoryImpl, JCL worked as expected in all cases.

great :)

- robert

Re: [logging] possible errors in child first cases

Posted by Brian Stansberry <be...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry to waste your time; false alarm. The child-first
cases are fine.  Somehow my commons-logging.jar had
everything but the kitchen sink in it, including the
demonstration code.

Good news is with that problem fixed and a refactored
LogFactoryImpl, JCL worked as expected in all cases.

Brian

--- Brian Stansberry <be...@yahoo.com>

Re: [logging] possible errors in child first cases [WAS Re: [logging] issues highlighted by analysis]

Posted by Brian Stansberry <be...@yahoo.com>.
--- robert burrell donkin