Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bruno Mannina <bm...@free.fr> on 2015/10/21 18:35:43 UTC

Wildcard "?" ?

Dear Solr-user,

I'm surprise to see in my SOLR 5.0 that the wildward ? replace
inevitably 1 character.

my request is:

title:magnet? AND tire?

  SOLR found only title with a character after magnet and tire but don't
found
title with only magnet AND tire

Do you know where can I tell to solr that ? wildcard means [0, 1]
character and not [1] character ?
Is it possible ?

Thanks a lot !

my field in my schema is defined like that:

    Field: title

Field-Type:
    org.apache.solr.schema.TextField
PI Gap:
    100

Flags: 	Indexed 	Tokenized 	Stored 	Multivalued
Properties 	y
Schema 	y
Index 	y

  *

    org.apache.solr.analysis.TokenizerChain

  *

    org.apache.solr.analysis.TokenizerChain

---

Re: Wildcard "?" ?

Posted by Bruno Mannina <bm...@free.fr>.
Upayavira,

Thanks a lot for these information

Regards,
Bruno

Le 21/10/2015 19:24, Upayavira a écrit :
> regexp will match the whole term. So, if you have stemming on, magnetic
> may well stem to magnet, and that is the term against which the regexp
> is executed.
>
> If you want to do the regexp against the whole field, then you need to
> do it against a string version of that field.
>
> The process of using a regexp (and a wildcard for that matter) is:
>   * search through the list of terms in your field for terms that match
>   your regexp (uses an FST for speed)
>   * search for documents that contain those resulting terms
>
> Upayavira
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 12:08 PM, Bruno Mannina wrote:
>> title:/magnet.?/ doesn't work for me because solr answers:
>>
>> |title = "Magnetic folding system"|
>>
>> but thanks to give me the idea to use regexp !!!
>>
>> Le 21/10/2015 18:46, Upayavira a écrit :
>>> No, you cannot tell Solr to handle wildcards differently. However, you
>>> can use regular expressions for searching:
>>>
>>> title:/magnet.?/ should do it.
>>>
>>> Upayavira

>> ---
>> logiciel antivirus Avast.

---

Re: Wildcard "?" ?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: Wildcard "?" ?

Posted by Bruno Mannina <bm...@free.fr>.
title:/magnet.?/ doesn't work for me because solr answers:

|title = "Magnetic folding system"|

but thanks to give me the idea to use regexp !!!

Le 21/10/2015 18:46, Upayavira a écrit :
> No, you cannot tell Solr to handle wildcards differently. However, you
> can use regular expressions for searching:
>
> title:/magnet.?/ should do it.
>
> Upayavira
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 11:35 AM, Bruno Mannina wrote:
>> Dear Solr-user,
>>
>> I'm surprise to see in my SOLR 5.0 that the wildward ? replace
>> inevitably 1 character.
>>
>> my request is:
>>
>> title:magnet? AND tire?
>>
>>    SOLR found only title with a character after magnet and tire but don't
>> found
>> title with only magnet AND tire
>>

>> Do you know where can I tell to solr that ? wildcard means [0, 1]
>> character and not [1] character ?
>> Is it possible ?
>>

>> Thanks a lot !
>>
>> my field in my schema is defined like that:
>>

>>      Field: title
>>
>> Field-Type:
>>      org.apache.solr.schema.TextField
>> PI Gap:
>>      100
>>
>> Flags:  Indexed         Tokenized       Stored  Multivalued
>> Properties      y
>> Schema  y
>> Index   y
>>

>>    *