Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Shustef, Eugene" <Eu...@westgroup.com> on 2001/03/27 20:33:21 UTC

using extension functions inside stylesheets to get NodeSet back

Is there a way to call an extension function, and have it return a nodeset
back without having that nodeset turned into a string?

( example

In stylesheet:
<encoded.block>
 call:     myprocess:getEncodedNodeSet(bar)
</encoded.block>

and get in the output:

<encoded.block>
 <encoded-bar>
    <blah/>
    <blah/>
</encoded-bar>
</encoded.block>
)

Thanks,

-- Eugene

Re: using extension functions inside stylesheets to get NodeSet back

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.
"Shustef, Eugene" wrote:

> Is there a way to call an extension function, and have it return a nodeset
> back without having that nodeset turned into a string?
>
> ( example
>
> In stylesheet:
> <encoded.block>
>  call:     myprocess:getEncodedNodeSet(bar)
> </encoded.block>
>
> and get in the output:
>
> <encoded.block>
>  <encoded-bar>
>     <blah/>
>     <blah/>
> </encoded-bar>
> </encoded.block>
> )

Yes, assuming your using XalanJ2.  I don't know about XalanC.  See the
Extension documentation and look at the supplied extensions in the
org.apache.xalan.lib package.

Gary

Re: using extension functions inside stylesheets to get NodeSet back

Posted by John Gentilin <jo...@eyecatching.com>.
The SQL Extensions may be a good example, just look at XConnection
and XStatement. They return a NodeIterator though and not a node set,
not sure if that is significant.

You XSL would be
<encoded-block>
    <copy-of select="myprocess:getEncodedNodeIterator(bar)" />
</encoded-block>