Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Maciej Strzelecki <ma...@crealytics.com> on 2015/06/01 17:36:47 UTC

EXECUTOR_SIGNAL_ESCALATION_TIMEOUT vs EXECUTOR_SHUTDOWN_GRACE_PERIOD vs docker_stop_timeout

Hi,

EXECUTOR_SIGNAL_ESCALATION_TIMEOUT is set to 3 seconds, hard-coded.

EXECUTOR_SHUTDOWN_GRACE_PERIOD  has a default of 5, and can be configured

docker_stop_timeout - default of 0, configurable as well

I am running a jobsystem app that needs to clean up and write back some data before it dies.  Its run by mesos through docker and, preferably, it needs more than 3 seconds (15 would be safe)

For testing, I have set:

docker_stop_timeout = 20 secs

and

executor_shutdown_grace_period = 30secs

How do the above two play with EXECUTOR_SIGNAL_ESCALATION_TIMEOUT (which is 3 seconds) ? Could someone explain the logic and order in which those params are enforced?

Maciej Strzelecki
Operations Engineer
Tel: +49 30 6098381-50
Fax: +49 851-213728-88
E-mail: mstrzelecki@crealytics.de
www.crealytics.com<http://www.crealytics.com>
blog.crealytics.com

crealytics GmbH - Semantic PPC Advertising Technology

Brunngasse 1 - 94032 Passau - Germany
Oranienstraße 185 - 10999 Berlin - Germany

Managing directors: Andreas Reiffen, Christof König, Dr. Markus Kurch
Register court: Amtsgericht Passau, HRB 7466
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Reiffen, Christof König, Daniel Trost
Reg.-Gericht: Amtsgericht Passau, HRB 7466

Re: EXECUTOR_SIGNAL_ESCALATION_TIMEOUT vs EXECUTOR_SHUTDOWN_GRACE_PERIOD vs docker_stop_timeout

Posted by Niklas Nielsen <ni...@mesosphere.io>.
Hi Maciej,

I apologize the confusion, let me see if I can clarify (inlined)

On 1 June 2015 at 19:42, zhou weitao <zh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1, I'd like to know that also.

> maciej.strzelecki@crealytics.com>:
>
>>  Hi,
>>

>>  EXECUTOR_SIGNAL_ESCALATION_TIMEOUT is set to 3 seconds, hard-coded.

This is specifically for the command executor which, first off, tries to
send SIGTERM. If nothing happens in EXECUTOR_SIGNAL_ESCALATION_TIMEOUT, a
SIGKILL is sent.

> EXECUTOR_SHUTDOWN_GRACE_PERIOD  has a default of 5, and can be configured
>>
> This applies for all executors using the mesos executor driver (which is
the majority) and wraps the 'kill cycle' in the command executor (which is
around 3 seconds).

> docker_stop_timeout - default of 0, configurable as well
>>

>>  I am running a jobsystem app that needs to clean up and write back some
>> data before it dies.  Its run by mesos through docker and, preferably, it
>> needs more than 3 seconds (15 would be safe)
>>

>>  For testing, I have set:
>>

>>  docker_stop_timeout = 20 secs
>>

>>  and
>>

>>  executor_shutdown_grace_period = 30secs
>>

>>  How do the above two play with EXECUTOR_SIGNAL_ESCALATION_TIMEOUT (which
>> is 3 seconds) ? Could someone explain the logic and order in which those
>> params are enforced?
>>

>>   Maciej Strzelecki
>> Operations Engineer
>> Tel: +49 30 6098381-50
>> Fax: +49 851-213728-88
>> E-mail: mstrzelecki@crealytics.de
>> www.crealytics.com
>> blog.crealytics.com
>>
>> crealytics GmbH - Semantic PPC Advertising Technology
>>
>> Brunngasse 1 - 94032 Passau - Germany
>> Oranienstraße 185 - 10999 Berlin - Germany
>>
>> Managing directors: Andreas Reiffen, Christof König, Dr. Markus Kurch
>> Register court: Amtsgericht Passau, HRB 7466
>> Geschäftsführer: Andreas Reiffen, Christof König, Daniel Trost
>> Reg.-Gericht: Amtsgericht Passau, HRB 7466

Hope this helps,

Niklas

Re: EXECUTOR_SIGNAL_ESCALATION_TIMEOUT vs EXECUTOR_SHUTDOWN_GRACE_PERIOD vs docker_stop_timeout

Posted by zhou weitao <zh...@gmail.com>.
+1, I'd like to know that also.