Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Daryl Beattie <Da...@screamingmedia.com> on 2000/10/20 23:22:03 UTC

Duplicate XML Definitions

Dear Xalan developers,

	I have a question which I hope not to annoy anybody with. I think it
is a "bug" in Xalan, although I'm not sure. I don't even know if it has been
addressed somewhere in the tons of documentation about this project. All I
do know is that I can find no reference to such a bug in all the
documentation I have read, and that I still have to do a work-around to it
that takes 28% of the running time of the code. This causes Xalan to, in
effect, be much slower than it would be if I did not have this problem.
	I seem to get the following error after certain types of Xalan
processes:

org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLProcessorException: The XML declaration may only
appear at the very beginning of the document.

	What I do to get around this is that I use a regular expression to
remove duplicate definitions if they appear. I don't know if it is a usage
problem or what... It happens no matter if I tell Xalan that the output type
is XML or not... Any ideas?

	Again, if this problem has been addressed sometime in the past, I
apologize for re-surfacing the issue.

Sincerely,

	Daryl.