Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by "Edward J. Apostol" <ed...@edapostol.com> on 2012/08/31 14:44:14 UTC

RE: Flex SDK 4.8 for windows - installation, caveats and questions (Not the RC release)

Hi - This is for the primarily for Mark (Shen) who inquired on this mailing
list about setting up the Flex 4.8 SDK. However, those folks on the list may
also find it useful to have a 'end-consumer/developer' perspective on the
current installation process.

**Update** since the last message from OM indicated that the RC builds are
out (from the msg below)
> Hi,
>
> This is the first official release of the InstallApacheFlex AIR
> application.  The official Apache distribution is the source kit which
> can contain only source.
>
> The source distributions for Windows and Mac are available here:
> http://people.apache.org/~bigosmallm/installapacheflex_RC1/
>
> The binary distributions for the respective platforms are available here:
> http://people.apache.org/~bigosmallm/installapacheflex_RC1/binaries/
>
> Along with the installer, we are releasing the 'badge installer' that
> can be embedded in our site as well as third-party websites.  Here is
> preview:
> http://incubator.apache.org/flex/installer.html

...This message may (or may not) be a moot point, in the least it can serve
a s a point of reference.

*download the appropriate Apache Flex binary and extract it to your SDK
folder (OR download the source and compile, place into your SDK folder).
*ensure that the following are installed: the Java SDK; Apache ANT; Adobe
AIR SDK; playerglobal.swc; PixelBender Toolkit 2.x; Flash Player debugger
version; Adobe Extension Manager (optional)
*make a copy of env-template.properties and call it env.properties
*in a text editor open env.properties and define the environment variables
JAVA_HOME,
ANT_HOME,AIR_HOME,PLAYERGLOBAL_HOME,FLASHPLAYERDEBUGGER_HOME,PIXELBENDER_HOM
E, and optionally EXTENSIONMANAGER_HOME. Minimally at this point JAVA_HOME
and ANT_HOME need to be defined in order to proceed.
*launch command prompt window and navigate to the Flex SDK/frameworks
directory.
*At the command prompt enter ant thirdparty-downloads. Accept for each
option that gets installed. It may take about 10 minutes or so depending on
bandwidth.

Additional Caveats:
*Environment variables could have been also been defined in Windows ->
Advanced Settings -> Environment Variables but I had issues with it not
finding things. Worked fine with env.properties.
*When launching Flash Builder / Eclipse w Flash Builder Plugin (FB) and
created a new project that pointed to the Flex 4.8 SDK:
	-FB displayed an error indicating that it could not find
playerglobal.swc, even though it was defined in env.properties and/or
windows environment variables.
	-related issue: many missing packages not being displayed in code
hinting. Esp  flash.* namespace (i.e. flash.events.events)
	-corrected by REPLACING the playerglobal.swc created from the
project (in project properties ) to re-adding playerglobal.swc from the
recently installed Flex 4.8 SDK/frameworks folder
*When working with a new or existing AIR project with the Flex 4.8 SDK, an
error message is displayed indicating that the AIR SDK could not be located,
even though it is defined (I saw this actually with the AIR installer
project that installs the Fle 4.8 SDK)
	-solution - really awkward, but worked - was to MERGE the contents
for the AIR SDK, its files and folders, into  the Flex SDK directory. No
replacements took place during the merge. I also changed the AIR_HOME in
env.properties and in windows environment vars to point to the new location
of the contents of the AIR SDK. The AIR installer to install Flex 4.8 SDK
and other AIR projecs worked.
	-(other) with the AIR installer for Flex 4.8 SDK, there were a
number of missing packages from .as3commons (ZipFile related). Om mentioned
this but I thought I would reiterate that additional instructions to 1)
launch a command prompt from the AIR installer directory and 2) run ant
get-as3commons.swc in order to get the as3commons.swc file for the project
and the installer will sit nice in FB and will run in debug mode

Anyway, congratulations on the RC release as well! Will try it out later
today.

-Edward

Edward J. Apostol
Consultant & Instructor - Web, RIAs and Mobile
Toronto, ON Canada
E  : ed@edapostol.com
Twitter: @edwardjapostol
Web     : http://about.me/edwardapostol