Posted to api@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2014/12/07 23:42:19 UTC

Re: Open Document Editors Devroom at FOSDEM 15, Brussels, 31 Jan 2015

Reminder: one week left for submitting talks proposal for FOSDEM.
Deadline is Sunday 14 December. All details below and at
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/call_for_talks_open_document
Regards,
   Andrea.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 10 Dec2014, at 15:05, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>

>> We had to reject a interesting submission about community metrics in the
>> past since FOSDEM is not the place for it.
>>

> Conveniently, Biturgia is running an EU edition of its FLOSS Metrics event
> adjacent to FOSDEM:
> http://flosscommunitymetrics.org/index.html
>
> S.

For further reference, see also the opening keynotes in the schedule: https://fosdem.org/2015/schedule/ , which lists the already-proposed developer rooms, and not all are technical. Eg, the legal and policy issues one, https://fosdem.org/2015/schedule/track/legal_and_policy_issues/, and there are more of this sort.

I think a dev room that touches on issues affecting AOO (and even LO, if they’d be interested in joining us on this) would be of interest, at least to me :-)

-louis

Re: Open Document Editors Devroom at FOSDEM 15, Brussels, 31 Jan 2015

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello

Am 14.12.2014 um 16:57 schrieb jan i:
> On Sunday, December 14, 2014, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10/12/2014 21:09, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>
>>> On 10 Dec2014, at 15:01, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> We (AOO) have done enough of explaining who we are, now
> its high time to start showing that we can move things.

Michael and I will do this in Brussels at the booth

> See you all at FOSDEM and ApcaheCON NA.
> jan

Nice to see you all in Brussels

Mechtilde

Re: Open Document Editors Devroom at FOSDEM 15, Brussels, 31 Jan 2015

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
jan i wrote:
> On Sunday, December 14, 2014, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Obviously, I'm
>> very open to both technical and non-technical discussions at any moment
>> during FOSDEM; ... these are the house rules, but
>> for the rest we'll be free to discuss everything!
> I expect to be there Saturday afternoon, what prohibits us or you to have
> TALKS in contradiction to presentations.

Nothing! I'm sorry if I wasn't clear or I gave a bad impression. FOSDEM
is much, much more than this devroom. And outside the devroom we have
plenty of occasions for talking (we will likely have a booth too, for
both Saturday and Sunday). And some of these talks will be more
important to me than some devroom presentations.

> please stop arguing and start planning.

This is a good point (I think nobody is arguing here... the "planning"
part, I mean): from last year's experience I think we should schedule a
moment for talks outside the devroom, so that we know to keep that slot
free.

> Who will reach out and plan a meeting at FOSDEM....do we know who from LO
> will be present.

I'll take care of that, by the moment devroom talks are accepted (i.e.
in 2 weeks; people will book flights at that moment probably).

> Sorry for this somewhat direct  email, let it be known that I highly
> respect both Andrea and Louis, but it makes me sad to see a fight instead
> of a cooperation.

I absolutely don't see a fight: I wasn't being confrontational at all.
Sorry if I wrote an unclear mail, and thanks for giving me the occasion
to reconfirm that very likely Louis and me have similar intentions and
priorities. And that there will be much more in FOSDEM than the devroom
presentations.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Open Document Editors Devroom at FOSDEM 15, Brussels, 31 Jan 2015

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Sunday, December 14, 2014, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 10/12/2014 21:09, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>
>> On 10 Dec2014, at 15:01, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> Note that FOSDEM talks have a requirement to be technical. ...
>>>
>> Right; but at the same time, there are other options besides talks
>>

> Sure. This only holds for talks in devrooms, as I just confirmed with the
> organizers (but again, the call I mentioned is about talks for the Open
> Document Editors devroom, deadline today).
>
>  and, besides, there are groups on licensing and metrics
>>

> Talks about licensing can be submitted to the dedicated devroom (again,
> confirmed with organizers).

Andrea, Louis please thus is not the sequel to "scotty beam me up". Please
try to understand whats written instead of turning the words into a law.

I bet a bottle of wine, served in brussels Saturday  evening, that your
intentions are similar or even identical.

>  … and just saw that Simon echoed my point re Bitergia.
>>

> It a separate event the day before FOSDEM. It's not part of FOSDEM, it has
> nothing to do with talks in the Open Documents Editors devroom.
>
>  Good idea, btw, to look at what is already accepted rather
>> than accept defeat before any venture, no?
>>

> Whatever way you want to see it, I can only confirm that talks in the Open
> Documents Editors devroom have to be technical and follow the guidelines in
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/call_for_talks_open_document ; I find
> non-technical talks equally interesting (I gave two non-technical talks
> myself during ApacheCon), but they are not for this devroom. Obviously, I'm
> very open to both technical and non-technical discussions at any moment
> during FOSDEM; these guidelines must be respected for the devroom talks
> since these are the house rules, but for the rest we'll be free to discuss
> everything!

I expect to be there Saturday afternoon, what prohibits us or you to have
TALKS in contradiction to presentations.

Dont misunderstand me, and no need to flame me (I have filtered that), I
think Louis has some good intentions, and I know for sure that andrea is
trying hard to get our boat in smooth waters again, so please stop arguing
and start planning.

Who will reach out and plan a meeting at FOSDEM....do we know who from LO
will be present.

Sorry for this somewhat direct  email, let it be known that I highly
respect both Andrea and Louis, but it makes me sad to see a fight instead
of a cooperation. We (AOO) have done enough of explaining who we are, now
its high time to start showing that we can move things.

See you all at FOSDEM and ApcaheCON NA.
jan

ps. yes I did submit a talk, and yes it will contain some personal views on
LO/AOO/corintha market positions.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 10/12/2014 21:09, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> On 10 Dec2014, at 15:01, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Note that FOSDEM talks have a requirement to be technical. ...
> Right; but at the same time, there are other options besides talks

Sure. This only holds for talks in devrooms, as I just confirmed with
the organizers (but again, the call I mentioned is about talks for the
Open Document Editors devroom, deadline today).

> and, besides, there are groups on licensing and metrics

Talks about licensing can be submitted to the dedicated devroom (again,
confirmed with organizers).

> … and just saw that Simon echoed my point re Bitergia.

It a separate event the day before FOSDEM. It's not part of FOSDEM, it
has nothing to do with talks in the Open Documents Editors devroom.

> Good idea, btw, to look at what is already accepted rather
> than accept defeat before any venture, no?

Whatever way you want to see it, I can only confirm that talks in the
Open Documents Editors devroom have to be technical and follow the
guidelines in
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/call_for_talks_open_document ; I find
non-technical talks equally interesting (I gave two non-technical talks
myself during ApacheCon), but they are not for this devroom. Obviously,
I'm very open to both technical and non-technical discussions at any
moment during FOSDEM; these guidelines must be respected for the devroom

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 10 Dec2014, at 15:01, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> There are other issues, too, like licensing, metrics, and general community governance.
>
> Note that FOSDEM talks have a requirement to be technical. We had to reject a interesting submission about community metrics in the past since FOSDEM is not the place for it.
>
> I can look up details if you wish, but this is one of the few constraints that FOSDEM places on track content and it is the reason for
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/call_for_talks_open_document
> to explicitly ask for "technical talks”.

Right; but at the same time, there are other options besides talks; and, besides, there are groups on licensing and metrics, as I mentioned, going. The community metrics is related to Bitergia. Licensing is related to CC and others. (FWIW, I’ve participated at several Fosdems. I know the score and also that its an evolving quantity.)

… and just saw that Simon echoed my point re Bitergia.

Good idea, btw, to look at what is already accepted rather than accept defeat before any venture, no?

Louis

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 10 Dec2014, at 08:07, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 8 December 2014 at 23:27, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> On 07 Dec2014, at 17:42, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Reminder: one week left for submitting talks proposal for FOSDEM.
>> Deadline is Sunday 14 December. All details below and at
>> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/call_for_talks_open_document
>>> Regards,
>>> Andrea.
>>
>> Thanks, Andrea. I’m hoping to make it. There are also some other quite
>> relevant events this year at Fosdem.
>>
> When do you know if you will make it ?

As soon as I can a) figure if we can use Fosdem as a site for a useful discussion (or even initial but meaningful preamble) on all things OpenOffice, including those that use the code (you know who you are); b) persuade my spouse that I’m not a lunatic for considering Brussels in February yet again (only this time with no obvious business attached).

> I am considering submitting a talk for AOO and of course one for Corinthia.

There are other issues, too, like licensing, metrics, and general community governance.

>> In fact, I think that this year’s Fosdem could offer us in the ODF/OO a
>> huge and maybe even unique opportunity to discuss where we are where we
>> want to go, where we *can* go. The ODF is a an opening to these
>> discussions, but to sustain the implementations we do need community
>> engagement.
>>

> Any news about the "open editors room", will it be saturday or sunday ? I
> will problaly only be able to fly in saturday morning and leave sunday
> evening.

I don’t know. We can ask.

> rgds
> jan i.

louis

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 10 Dec2014, at 08:07, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 8 December 2014 at 23:27, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> On 07 Dec2014, at 17:42, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Reminder: one week left for submitting talks proposal for FOSDEM.
>> Deadline is Sunday 14 December. All details below and at
>> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/call_for_talks_open_document
>>> Regards,
>>> Andrea.
>>
>> Thanks, Andrea. I’m hoping to make it. There are also some other quite
>> relevant events this year at Fosdem.
>>
> When do you know if you will make it ?

As soon as I can a) figure if we can use Fosdem as a site for a useful discussion (or even initial but meaningful preamble) on all things OpenOffice, including those that use the code (you know who you are); b) persuade my spouse that I’m not a lunatic for considering Brussels in February yet again (only this time with no obvious business attached).

> I am considering submitting a talk for AOO and of course one for Corinthia.

There are other issues, too, like licensing, metrics, and general community governance.

>> In fact, I think that this year’s Fosdem could offer us in the ODF/OO a
>> huge and maybe even unique opportunity to discuss where we are where we
>> want to go, where we *can* go. The ODF is a an opening to these
>> discussions, but to sustain the implementations we do need community
>> engagement.
>>

> Any news about the "open editors room", will it be saturday or sunday ? I
> will problaly only be able to fly in saturday morning and leave sunday
> evening.

I don’t know. We can ask.

> rgds
> jan i.

louis

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
jan i wrote:
> Any news about the "open editors room", will it be saturday or sunday ?

It's on Saturday, as specified in

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.