Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Upendra Yadav <up...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/27 04:41:16 UTC

kafka client 2.0.1 compatibility with kafka broker 0.10.0.1

Hi,

We have kafka brokers with kafka version 0.10.0.1.
And brooklin(https://github.com/linkedin/brooklin) is using kafka client -
2.0.1.
I'm testing brooklin for kafka mirroring,

Due to kafka version mismatch, Do you see any issue while using brooklin
kafka-mirror with our kafka brokers?

Or in general: Do you see any issue while using kafka client 2.0.1
with kafka broker 0.10.0.1?

I went through below link:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-35+-+Retrieving+protocol+version
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-97%3A+Improved+Kafka+Client+RPC+Compatibility+Policy

but I'm not sure : is brooklin using such any new APIs that is not
supported in kafka broker 0.10.0.1.

If someone have time then please look into this and let me know.
Thank you so much...

Re: kafka client 2.0.1 compatibility with kafka broker 0.10.0.1

Posted by Upendra Yadav <up...@gmail.com>.
FYI:

I changed the dependencies of brooklin to use kafka 0.10.0.1.
But compilation is getting failed.
1st failure related test case where it trying to create KafkaServer, where
constructor args mismatch.
I have changed KafkaServer creation API to old one, but another set of
issues:
brooklin having LIKafkaVersion - 1.0.4, and due to this it is downloading
kafka-client 2.0.1.
so I have changed LIKafkaVersion to 0.0.6(where dependency kafka-client
0.10.1.1).
once again, while preparing build test cases are failing: some where
related to kafka topic creation test cases.

So now I have 2 options:
1. move my kafka brokers with 2.0.1. not easy because have multiple
dependencies.
2. or develop my own kafka-mirror or try some other open-source projects.

If you know any good kafka mirror opensource projects then please let me
know.

Thank you.