Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> on 2003/05/23 23:32:42 UTC

Cocoon and Phoenix

Hi:

Is possible to run Cocoon with Avalon phoenix? Or I am mixing concepts?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: Cocoon and Phoenix

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Thanks for your reply it helped me very much.

But, I am total newbie in the phoenix arena. :(

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Cocoon and Phoenix

Posted by Peter Klotz <pe...@blue-elephant-systems.com>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Is possible to run Cocoon with Avalon phoenix? Or I am mixing concepts?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Antonio Gallardo.

Usually one would probably run a Phoenix server in the backend
standalone in its own JVM and use a custom source or action that
accesses a component via Altrmi or RMI, at least this is a I have done
it. A public project that does similar using its own HTML communication
is XReporter for example (http://xreporter.cocoondev.org/index.html).
Altrmi if it should work in your case is cool tech and can be found in
incubator-altrmi. Axis SOAP would also be a choice for the
communication, then you need to integrate a Axis Server into Phoenix.
This is a topic where I and some other people are doing some work but
this is not yet available out of the box.

Furthermore one could try to run the whole Cocoon inside Phoenix using
the Sevak component or any of the web container-specific Phoenix
integrations such as the one from Jo. So kind of your webapp in Cocoon
in Tomcat/Jetty/Jo in Sevak in Phoenix. I've not tried it so far but it
should principally work. Sevak in in avalon-sandbox.

Third there seems to be a option to use a other component manager than
the Cocoon's one in Cocoon, at least this is mentioned in the Cocoon
docu. But I don't understand that good enough. See
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.0/developing/parent-component-manager.html

Regards, Peter