Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Arjun Dhar <dh...@yahoo.com> on 2012/03/05 17:12:30 UTC

Securing Resource in Web Context

Hi,
not sure if this is even a Wicket question; but drawing on the experience of
the community for thoughts.

Scenario : In the Web context, <web root>/resources ;is a folder that is
accessible.
Lets say we manage to secure it at the Apache level not to show a blatant
directory listing, however if a resource is requested by path and that
resource exists you really cant block it using any Auth mechanism using
Tomcat ... can you?

One way, i to create a private folder somewhere and stream the resources via
the App Server; however that puts additional strain on the server and
architecture if you want to access those resources quickly and a lot of
them; specially in a hosted environment where you have a shared instance.
(No VPS and no access to Tomcat say)

Not sure if  there is a bridge between Apache & Tomcat say to secure a Web
folder based on some cookie or jsession ids ?!

..Im thinking of creating a REST API, that encrypts urls and for all secured
components in my Auth Strategy, it will generate URL's that point to a API
and contains an encrypted value of the actual resource. the API decrypts the
token and redirects it to the actual resource.

...Now if someone studies the redirects then they an still get to the
resource, but atleast for the average person they will never be able to
access the resource from the browser by seeing its location.
Now is this worth the effort, .. or is there a way to secure a folder in the
WAR context by some sophisticated mechanism driven by code but communicated
to Apache. ..since the resources can be directly services by Apache .. am
wondering how that would be possible at all.

Just curious

-----
Software documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good; and when it is bad, it is still better than nothing!

Re: Securing Resource in Web Context

Posted by kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com>.
can't you put your resources to DB ?? then you will have quick access and
it will be secure?

pozdrawiam
Paweł Kamiński

kamiseq@gmail.com
pkaminski.prv@gmail.com
______________________

Re: Securing Resource in Web Context

Posted by Arjun Dhar <dh...@yahoo.com>.
..Just one more thing. I know this question/thought sounds convoluted and
insane but think about it. We develope elaborate Authentication &
Authorization strategies in our code bases and then to secure things at a
Quasi-Network-App level we have to rely on a parallel system. That too
should be unacceptable,.. and hence Im just exploring any insane idea that
helps unify things under one policy as much as possible and makes
penetration more difficult if not impossible.

-----