Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stefan Wiesendanger <st...@open.ch> on 2002/06/10 17:37:28 UTC

Problem with mod_proxy's HTTP/1.1 support in 1.3.24 in conjunction with transfer-encoding: chunked

Hello
I am using Apache as reverse proxy (using mod_rewrite and
mod_proxy) in front of IIS servers.

I see some problems with certain browsers when using mod_proxy's
HTTP/1.1 support in 1.3.24. As an additional problem, I can't
work around the browser problem by disabling HTTP/1.1 through
the proxy (there seems to be a patch for the 2.0 branch to that
end, but not 1.3.x).

Browser problem description:
When going via the proxy, I see the byte numbers of the
transfer chunks inserted on the web pages (in Internet Explorer,
Netscape, but not Mozilla 1.0). I don't see these numbers when
accessing the IIS webserver directly. Apparently, it's a browser
problem rather than a webserver problem.

Header sent by IIS (corretly interpreted by all browsers):

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:52:48 GMT
Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDQQQQGHUF=EMFPHKABHKCOKOHCFDJDCBBL; path=/
Cache-control: private
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Header sent via mod_proxy ("dechunking" broken in iEx and Netscape):

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:44:51 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
Cache-control: private

I suspect the problem comes from the "X-Cache" line (or maybe the
reordering of the rest of the header lines?) that keeps the browsers
from "dechunking" correctly.

- Does anyone know a work-around for continuing to use HTTP/1.1?
- How can I disable HTTP/1.1 in mod_proxy (1.3.24)? Just setting
   BrowserMatch "." nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
   didn't help. Configuring the browser to use HTTP/1.0 only didn't
   help either. Clearly, HTTP/1.1 is hard-coded in mod_proxy on
   the server-side.

Thanks
Stefan

--
Stefan Wiesendanger
PGP fingerprint: 3437 2D2D E20F C10B EE2D 3562 970A F347 3B2E 8416