Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Madabhattula Rajesh Kumar <mr...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/01 14:36:08 UTC

Continuous or Categorical

Hi,

How to check given a set of values(example:- Column values in CSV file) are
Continuous or Categorical? Any statistical test is available?

Regards,
Rajesh

Re: Continuous or Categorical

Posted by Richard Siebeling <rs...@gmail.com>.
I think it's difficult to determine with certainty if a variable is
continuous or categorical, what to do when the values are numbers like 1,
2, 2, 3, 4, 5. These values can both be continuous as categorical.
for exa
However you could perform some checks:
- are there any decimal values > it will probably be continuous
- are the values strings > it will be categorical

There are more test possible but it depends on what you know about the
data...