Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Chris Forbis <ch...@veritas.com> on 2003/07/30 00:19:30 UTC

Unicode Filtering

Have any steps been taken to allow for filters to be placed in Axis to
correct URF8 issues with Soap...  What do I mean by this?   (I am sure of
you are still wondering)

When I have a java String in a bean the bean serializer then does it's work
and sends it out the XML might fail... why?  Because there are many
characters that are not valid in UTF8 soap messages, but are very valid in
java Strings...  so the soap parser crashes...

Here are the byte codes for a few that I see all the time...

(byte)25

(byte)28

(byte)29

(byte)19

Thanks

Chris

Re: Unicode Filtering

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Chris Forbis wrote:

> Have any steps been taken to allow for filters to be placed in Axis to
> correct URF8 issues with Soap...  What do I mean by this?   (I am sure
> of you are still wondering)
>

> When I have a java String in a bean the bean serializer then does it's
> work and sends it out the XML might fail... why?  Because there are many
> characters that are not valid in UTF8 soap messages, but are very valid
> in java Strings...  so the soap parser crashes...
>

> Here are the byte codes for a few that I see all the time...
>
> (byte)25
>
> (byte)28
>
> (byte)29
>
> (byte)19

These are all illegal XML characters, whether they are escaped or not.

CVS_HEAD Axis will now throw an exception when you try to send these,
rather than wait for the recipient to deal with them. This will make it
easier for you to discover where your code needs fixing.