Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net> on 2013/04/18 10:22:38 UTC

The archetype/archetype-catalog mess

Currently, maven-archetype-plugin ignores the configured Maven
infrastructure when fetching the archetype-catalog. That is, it is
hard-coded to get the catalog from central. This causes problems in
environments where Internet access is restricted and a MRM is used. Also,
in cases where Internet is accessible I think the current behavior where
configured repositories/mirrors are ignored is strange. I would expect my
Maven configuration to be honored and the catalog to downloaded from my
configured remote repos (incl. mirrors).

Do anyone object if I do some drastic changes to this logic in the plugin?
I'm thinking that the plugin should follow the Maven configuration and not
have anything hard-coded in itself wrt where to get the archetype
catalog(s) from.
Related tickets are ARCHETYPE-427 and ARCHETYPE-358 primarily, but it
touches on other ones as well.

/Anders

Re: The archetype/archetype-catalog mess

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
+1

--
John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)

Re: The archetype/archetype-catalog mess

Posted by Vincent Latombe <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Vincent

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
sounds good idea.

--
Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: The archetype/archetype-catalog mess

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: The archetype/archetype-catalog mess

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
The archetype for Maven plugins has been enriched with an example of an IT.
That should give developers a start on how to use the maven-invoker-plugin.
There's probably more room for improving documentation on how to make a
kickstart when writing maven-plugins, but that would only be useful if you
could find those docs. Right now the Maven site is a growing list of
hyperlinks, so we also need to rearrange the site.

MRM a different story, I've only used it for plugins where I need to
download a pom.xml from some runtime specified project.
I see opportunities when we integrate MRM into the maven-invoker-plugin,
but I'm not sure if we want a per-test repository. Up until now I've been
able to isolate all mocked artifacts per test. I'd prefer not introduce
extra options if these are not really required.

Robert

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Sunday, 21 April 2013, Barrie Treloar wrote:

> On 21 April 2013 00:50, Robert Scholte <rfscholte@apache.org<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > @Barrie,
> > http://mojo.codehaus.org/mrm-maven-plugin/examples/invoker-tests.htmlshould
> > give you a good start.
> > I'll add something about supported files and how to setup your mockrepo.
> Is
> > there something else you'd like to see?
>
> Remember its been a while since I've gone searching for the docs so
> things may be fine now...
>
> Its more thank just MRM, its how to use the invoker, why you do things
> this way, etc, etc. This is especially useful for newbies as
> integration tests are so useful.

I think what you are calling out for is a better guide on how to write
integration tests for maven plugins on the Maven site.

I am also wondering if it is worth moving MRM into the Maven tree, perhaps
merging with invoker as that would open up some nice synergies, such as
allowing per-test repositories (or even per part of test, e.g.
Invoker.properties could have: invoker.mockRepository.2=...)

-Stephen

Sent from my phone

Re: The archetype/archetype-catalog mess

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
Thanks Robert!

/Anders

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
@Anders,

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <bm...@batmat.net>.
+1.

Though I'd personally be inclined to just go m3+ directly, I suppose this
would be a bit more progressive for users to release a last m2 compatible
version before going m3+.
That'd be the occasion to state clearly this is the last m2-compatible in
the release notes.

Sure, this strategy is only valid if ARCHETYPE-427 and ARCHETYPE-358 are
fixable without too much hassle.

Cheers

2013/4/18 Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>

> Heck, we might even go v3.0 with this change and remove a lot of garbage
> that I've found in the code. And delete the create goal. :-)
> Maybe even require Maven 3.0+ to simplify the code. Or maybe that's taking
> this a little bit to far?
>
> /Anders
>

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Manfred Moser <manfred@simpligility.com
> >wrote:
>
> > You would be earning a lot of brownie points I am sure! There are a bunch
> > of open questions around this and the perception that the archetype
> system
> > is pretty much dead on stackoverflow and other places. This could fix a
> > lot of those concerns..
> >
> > manfred
> >
> > > Currently, maven-archetype-plugin ignores the configured Maven
> > > infrastructure when fetching the archetype-catalog. That is, it is
> > > hard-coded to get the catalog from central. This causes problems in
> > > environments where Internet access is restricted and a MRM is used.
> Also,
> > > in cases where Internet is accessible I think the current behavior
> where
> > > configured repositories/mirrors are ignored is strange. I would expect
> my
> > > Maven configuration to be honored and the catalog to downloaded from my
> > > configured remote repos (incl. mirrors).
> > >
> > > Do anyone object if I do some drastic changes to this logic in the
> > plugin?
> > > I'm thinking that the plugin should follow the Maven configuration and
> > not
> > > have anything hard-coded in itself wrt where to get the archetype
> > > catalog(s) from.
> > > Related tickets are ARCHETYPE-427 and ARCHETYPE-358 primarily, but it
> > > touches on other ones as well.
> > >
> > > /Anders

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: The archetype/archetype-catalog mess

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@porterclan.net>.
On 19/04/2013, at 4:29 AM, Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net> wrote:

> Heck, we might even go v3.0 with this change and remove a lot of garbage
> that I've found in the code. And delete the create goal. :-)
> Maybe even require Maven 3.0+ to simplify the code. Or maybe that's taking
> this a little bit to far?

This should be fine, just bearing in mind that you need to be extra careful about <prerequisites> so that Maven 2.2.1 users don't pull the latest and get a broken archetype system. A bad version was released once and much confusion reigned.

You will need to maintain some level of compatibility with old archetypes, if it comes to that too.

+1 overall, this particular thing has been quite annoying in the past, thanks for picking it up!

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: The archetype/archetype-catalog mess

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
Moving fast would certainly different... but very good imho!

manfred

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.