Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org> on 2001/01/10 09:03:23 UTC

How to recognize server shutdown?

Is there any way to distinguish between a child being shutdown (say
maxrequests has been exceeded) versus all of Apache going down (kill
signal sent to the original process or something).

The reason I ask is that while I can do:

BEGIN
{
     # make a file
}

I can't do:

END
{
     # delete a file
}

and get good results.

I suspect the answer to this is no but I'm curious as to whether anybody's
come up with a way to detect a 'real' shutdown.

-dave

/*==================
www.urth.org
We await the New Sun
==================*/

Re: How to recognize server shutdown?

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi Dave,

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Dave Rolsky wrote:

> Is there any way to distinguish between a child being shutdown (say
> maxrequests has been exceeded) versus all of Apache going down (kill
> signal sent to the original process or something).

Don't you get a message in error_log to the effect that a signal has
been received?

73,
Ged.