Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Павел <pp...@ua.fm> on 2016/03/27 19:08:32 UTC

Backward compatibility rules for maven plugins

Good day!
I'm looking for some rules for maven plugins backward compatibility.

Especially interested in such a rules for the code, not a plugin API.
Should I, as plugin developer, release major version if I'm going to chang
API of class
inside the plugin (not the Mojo API)?

Thanks in advance!

--
Best regards,
Paul

Re: Backward compatibility rules for maven plugins

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Paul,

On 3/27/16 7:08 PM, Павел wrote:
> Good day!
> I'm looking for some rules for maven plugins backward compatibility.
>
> Especially interested in such a rules for the code, not a plugin API.
> Should I, as plugin developer, release major version if I'm going to chang
> API of class
> inside the plugin (not the Mojo API)?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Here in the Maven area we are trying to keep backward compatibility on
the plugin usage level which means the plugin should work always the
same by using the defaults etc. from the user perspetive...

If we would like to change the default behaviour which would result in
changes for the users we can do this only in Major releases otherwise
this would break builds...that's one of the most important rules
here...(Ok there are some exceptions):..

If we would like to add supplemental features/behaviour the usual way is
having this feature deactivated by default (via options/parameters) to
keep backward compatibility this can be introduced in minor versions as
well...so users can decide to use a new feature...

The look like of the code of the plugin itself is not of interest
(ok...for developers it is..)...

So most important here is the user point of view...

Those things are not really rules but good advisors if you are unsure ....

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise