Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Zhang Huyssen <hu...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/17 05:36:12 UTC

New contributor need help

Hey there, I'm new to this community and want to get involved into couchdb.
Where should I start and what should do next? I have some knowlede about js
and Java, please give me some information about the issue I could work
with! Thank you very much!

Best Regards,
Huyssen

Re: New contributor need help

Posted by Zhang Huyssen <hu...@gmail.com>.
Great! I will leave a comment under the issue interested me :)

Thank you,
Huyssen

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zhang Huyssen <hu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim McNamara <pa...@timmcnamara.co.nz>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Heya Huyssen,

That said:

[...]

For Fauxton, please see the README at: https://github.com/apache/couchdb-fauxton

* * *

In addition, there are a number of issues on our bug tracker that we’ve marked as beginner friendly: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1098?jql=project%20%3D%20COUCHDB%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20cf%5B12310270%5D%20%3D%20%22New%20Contributors%20Level%20(Easy)%22%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC (I hope this link works)

Posted by Zhang Huyssen <hu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Harald,

Posted by Harald Kisch <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hello Joan,

as Jan recognized, it was the wrong tarball.
I will have a closer look on the more recent ones.
Thank you for your advice, thought that they have been disabled to pass the
test.

Best,
Harald

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Harald,
>
> While your point is taken - we need better documentation on how to get
> new developers on board - I'd like to take issue with you saying that
> some tests are failing.
>
> As far as I know, the JavaScript tests right now 100% pass on both
> Linux and Windows for me and for the rest of the core development team.
> You run these by typing
>
>     $ make all javascript (Linux)
>
> or
>
>     C:\relax\couchdb> make -f Makefile.win all javascript
>
> and look for all the <pass> statements (hopefully!)
>
> If you have a failing test or tests, could you please post which ones
> are failing here, and include a link to the log of your test output?
> (Preferably use a site like https://paste.apache.org/ or
> http://gist.github.com instead of pasting your entire logfile to the
> mailing list.)
>
> We can then help direct you at the JS file(s) you need to review to
> understand what may be wrong.
>
> And as Jan said, please be sure you have the latest tarball to look at,
> or if you know how to use git, cloned from our apache/couchdb repository
> (master branch). We've recently fixed a couple of failing tests and you
> may be seeing issues we've already resolved.
>
> Best,
> Joan Touzet

Dipl.-Inf. Harald R. Kisch

Falkenstraße 19C
81541 München
Germany

Mobil DE: +49 (0) 176 56 58 58 38

Skype: harald.kisch
Mail: haraldkisch@gmail.com

Re: New contributor need help

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
> On 18 Jul 2016, at 12:21, Harald Kisch <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> then I’m confused as to why you thought this was a good first-contributor
> issue?
>
> Because I know there are some issues, and if there would be some help, I
> would also go hands-on, too.
> This is your chance to have two developers staffed on, fixing the
> javascript issues.

I get that part, but that’s not how first-contributor issues work, they need clear 1. 2. 3. instructions, not some handwaving at a problem area ;)

We’ve got a lot to do in this area, but I’ve personally been putting it off in favour of getting 2.0 out, which is still a bit of work.

We’ve been doing some good work on the Hoodie project that I’d like to bring over after we’ve shipped 2.0 to increase contributions. We’ve written up some of our findings and procedures here: http://hood.ie/blog/starter-issues.html (it works exceptionally well, that’s why I want to bring these over).

If anyone wants to get started on this, feel free :)

Best
Jan

Posted by Harald Kisch <ha...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> --
>

> > Kind Regards
> >
> > Harald
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Heya Harald,
> >>
> >> could you do a quick write up on how to run the tests? Not sure this
> would
> >> be useful without, for a new contributor.
> >>
> >> Also, please use the latest build from
> >> http://couchdb.apache.org/release-candidate/2.0/ or git master,
> thanks! :)
> >>
> >> Best
> >> Jan
> >> --

> https://home.apache.org/~jan/couchdb/2.0/RC/apache-couchdb-2.0.0-92c95de.tar.gz

> >> couchdb.
> >> about js

> >> --
> >> Professional Support for Apache CouchDB:

Dipl.-Inf. Harald R. Kisch

Falkenstraße 19C
81541 München
Germany

Mobil DE: +49 (0) 176 56 58 58 38

Skype: harald.kisch
Mail: haraldkisch@gmail.com

Re: New contributor need help

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Harald,

Posted by Harald Kisch <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jan,

> [...]

> Best
> Jan
> --
>

> > On 18 Jul 2016, at 08:02, Harald Kisch <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Huyssen,
> >
> > there are some Issues with the JavaScript Tests in the Source Code at
> >
> https://home.apache.org/~jan/couchdb/2.0/RC/apache-couchdb-2.0.0-92c95de.tar.gz
> > You can try to fix them.
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > Harald
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Zhang Huyssen <hu...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hey there, I'm new to this community and want to get involved into
> couchdb.
> >> Where should I start and what should do next? I have some knowlede
> about js
> >> and Java, please give me some information about the issue I could work

Dipl.-Inf. Harald R. Kisch

Falkenstraße 19C
81541 München
Germany

Mobil DE: +49 (0) 176 56 58 58 38

Skype: harald.kisch
Mail: haraldkisch@gmail.com

Re: New contributor need help

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Heya Harald,

Posted by Harald Kisch <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Huyssen,

wrote:

> Hey there, I'm new to this community and want to get involved into couchdb.
> Where should I start and what should do next? I have some knowlede about js
> and Java, please give me some information about the issue I could work
> with! Thank you very much!
>
> Best Regards,
> Huyssen

Dipl.-Inf. Harald R. Kisch