Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2009/02/13 20:31:09 UTC

Performance benchmark on new Intermediate Format

I've written a short report on the performance of the new Intermediate
Format. The numbers show that the goals have been met. It's also
interesting to look at from a general perspective. I'm sure there could
be a lot more that I could have written and shown but at some point I
had to warp it up. I hope I didn't leave out anything crucial.

http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/fop/benchmark-2009-02-13/

My next step is to try to meet Vincent's high coding standards (although
that's probably a lost cause for me) and then to get the approval for
the merge into trunk.

Have a good weekend,
Jeremias Maerki

Re: Performance benchmark on new Intermediate Format

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 16.02.2009 15:56:33 Max Berger wrote:
> Jeremias,
>
> Jeremias Maerki schrieb:
> > I've written a short report on the performance of the new Intermediate
> > Format. The numbers show that the goals have been met. It's also
> > interesting to look at from a general perspective. I'm sure there could
> > be a lot more that I could have written and shown but at some point I
> > had to warp it up. I hope I didn't leave out anything crucial.
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/fop/benchmark-2009-02-13/
>
> Looks really nice. Finally some numbers on FOPs performance, the tests
> you did seem to make sense. Thank you for this work! I think this should
> be merged as soon as possible.

Thanks. Having some hard numbers were one of the reasons why I invested
so much time in that. I often get the question: How fast is FOP? Now, we
have at least the beginning of an answer. Of course, more data is always
better. ;-)

> > My next step is to try to meet Vincent's high coding standards (although
> > that's probably a lost cause for me) and then to get the approval for
> > the merge into trunk.
>
> I've just committed the following changes:
> - Fixed PMD to report only basic issues and important security issues.
> run "ant pmd" to get this report. This is something I'll look into
> changing in fop trunk after the merge.
> - added the PMD/CPD (Copy'n'paste detection) report, run "ant cpd" to
> generate it. Anything reported here should definitely be refactored.
> Again, I'll look into some of these things after your merge.

Cool. I didn't know it could do that. Pretty useful, and the result is
not half as bad as I expected after these discussions.

> PMD requires JDK 1.5 (only needed for report, and not for normal build
> or use, hope this is ok)

I don't see anything wrong with that.

> Hotspot does pretty well on inlining static functions, duplicate code
> could therefore go into static functions in utility classes if they
> would not make sense in the class hierachy.

Right, I just hope we don't go so far as to move every three duplicate
lines into their own utility method somewhere and thus make the code
unreadable.

Posted by Max Berger <ma...@berger.name>.
Jeremias,

Jeremias Maerki schrieb:
> I've written a short report on the performance of the new Intermediate
> Format. The numbers show that the goals have been met. It's also
> interesting to look at from a general perspective. I'm sure there could
> be a lot more that I could have written and shown but at some point I
> had to warp it up. I hope I didn't leave out anything crucial.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/fop/benchmark-2009-02-13/

Looks really nice. Finally some numbers on FOPs performance, the tests
you did seem to make sense. Thank you for this work! I think this should
be merged as soon as possible.

> My next step is to try to meet Vincent's high coding standards (although
> that's probably a lost cause for me) and then to get the approval for
> the merge into trunk.

I've just committed the following changes:
- Fixed PMD to report only basic issues and important security issues.
run "ant pmd" to get this report. This is something I'll look into
changing in fop trunk after the merge.
- added the PMD/CPD (Copy'n'paste detection) report, run "ant cpd" to
generate it. Anything reported here should definitely be refactored.
Again, I'll look into some of these things after your merge.

PMD requires JDK 1.5 (only needed for report, and not for normal build
or use, hope this is ok)

Hotspot does pretty well on inlining static functions, duplicate code
could therefore go into static functions in utility classes if they
would not make sense in the class hierachy.

> Have a good weekend,
> Jeremias Maerki

hth

Max

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

Hi Jeremias,

> I've written a short report on the performance of the new Intermediate
> Format. The numbers show that the goals have been met. It's also
> interesting to look at from a general perspective. I'm sure there could
> be a lot more that I could have written and shown but at some point I
> had to warp it up. I hope I didn't leave out anything crucial.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/fop/benchmark-2009-02-13/

Thanks for preparing the report. I agree with your conclusion, the new
Intermediate Format is a big improvement over the old. I hope that after
the new release we can consider dropping the old Renderers as supporting
both is a big burden for the the project.

> My next step is to try to meet Vincent's high coding standards (although
> that's probably a lost cause for me) and then to get the approval for
> the merge into trunk.
>
> Have a good weekend,
> Jeremias Maerki

Thanks,