Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Hakan İlter <ha...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/21 13:49:15 UTC

Solr 4.0 replication problem

Hi everyone,

We are using very early version of Solr 4.0 and we've some replication
problems. Actually we used this build more than one year without any
problem but when I made some changes on schema.xml, the following problem
started.

I've just changed schema.xml with adding multiValued="true" attribute to
two dynamic fields.

Before:
<dynamicField name="*_spec" type="string" indexed="true" stored="false" />
<dynamicField name="*_seo" type="string" indexed="true" stored="false" />

After:
<dynamicField name="*_spec" type="string" indexed="true" stored="false" *
multiValued="true"* />
<dynamicField name="*_seo" type="string" indexed="true" stored="false" *
multiValued="true"* />

After starting tomcats with new configuration, there are no problems
occurred. But after a while, I'm seeing this error:

*Mar 20, 2012 2:00:05 PM org.apache.solr.handler.ReplicationHandler doFetch
SEVERE: SnapPull failed
org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Index fetch failed :
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.SnapPuller.fetchLatestIndex(SnapPuller.java:340)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.ReplicationHandler.doFetch(ReplicationHandler.java:265)
        at org.apache.solr.handler.SnapPuller$1.run(SnapPuller.java:166)
        at
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
        at
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRunAndReset(FutureTask.java:317)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:150)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$101(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:98)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.runPeriodic(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:204)
        at
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFormatTooNewException: Format
version is not supported in file 'segments_1': -12 (needs to be between -9
and -11)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.codecs.DefaultSegmentInfosReader.read(DefaultSegmentInfosReader.java:51)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(SegmentInfos.java:230)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFileDeleter.<init>(IndexFileDeleter.java:169)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:770)
        at
org.apache.solr.update.SolrIndexWriter.<init>(SolrIndexWriter.java:83)
        at
org.apache.solr.update.UpdateHandler.createMainIndexWriter(UpdateHandler.java:102)
        at
org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2.openWriter(DirectUpdateHandler2.java:111)
        at
org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2.forceOpenWriter(DirectUpdateHandler2.java:297)
        at org.apache.solr.handler.SnapPuller.doCommit(SnapPuller.java:484)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.SnapPuller.fetchLatestIndex(SnapPuller.java:330)
        ... 11 more
Mar 20, 2012 2:00:16 PM org.apache.solr.update.SolrIndexWriter finalize
SEVERE: SolrIndexWriter was not closed prior to finalize(), indicates a bug
-- POSSIBLE RESOURCE LEAK!!!*

After above error, it works for a while and then tomcats are going down
because of out of memory problems.

Could this be a bug? What do you suggest? Please don't suggest me to update
Solr to current version in trunk because we did a lot of changes related
with our build of Solr. Updating to current Solr would take at least a
couple of weeks. But we need an immediate solution.

We are using DIH, our schema version is 1.3, both master and slaves using
same binaries, libraries etc. Here are some details about our solr build:

Solr Specification Version: 4.0.0.2011.03.28.06.20.50
Solr Implementation Version: 4.0-SNAPSHOT 1086110 - Administrator -
2011-03-28 06:20:50
Lucene Specification Version: 4.0-SNAPSHOT
Lucene Implementation Version: 4.0-SNAPSHOT 1086110 - 2011-03-28 06:22:18

Thanks for any help.

Re: Solr 4.0 replication problem

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
In that case, I'm kind of stuck. You've already rebuilt your index
from scratch and removed it from your slaves. That should have
cleared out most everything that could be an issue. I'd suggest
you set up a pair of machines from scratch and try to set up an
index/replication with your current schema. If a fresh install shows
the same problem, you've probably found a bona-fide bug. But
you'll probably have to fix it yourself if you can't upgrade.

But  I really doubt it's a bug, this just smells way too much  like
you have something going on you aren't aware of ("interesting"
CLASSPATH issues? Multiple installations of Solr? Someone,
sometime, indexed things to the master you didn't know about
with a newer version?whataver?)

Sorry I can't be more help
Erick

Posted by Hakan İlter <ha...@gmail.com>.