Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/29 08:34:00 UTC

Re: Next release - when?

Howdy Folks,

I've got an update to the FOP web site for the 0.95 release:

http://people.apache.org/~clay/fop_refactored_0.95/

It's not too different from before, except for the 'Using FOP 0.95' &
'FOP 0.95 Features' menus in the nav for the Home tab, and I've
removed the 0.93 (although I haven't yet removed it from SVN). And
it's built with Forrest 0.8.

svn status
M      forrest.properties
!      src/documentation/sitemap.xmap
?      src/documentation/content/xdocs/0.95
M      src/documentation/content/xdocs/tabs.xml
M      src/documentation/content/xdocs/0.94/index.xml
M      src/documentation/content/xdocs/site.xml
M      src/documentation/content/doap.rdf

NOTE: We've still got the 0.93/ directory in there, since I haven't
taken the initiative to `svn delete` it yet.

Here're the BROKEN items from the forrest STDOUT:
X [0]                                     knownissues.html
BROKEN: Resource not found: cocoon://knownissues-raw-fotree.xml
X [0]                                     0.95/releaseNotes_0.95.html
 BROKEN: /Users/Shared/_WebDLs/_repos/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/0.95/releaseNotes_0.95.xml
(No such file or directory)
X [0]
0.95/knownissues_overview.html        BROKEN:
/Users/Shared/_WebDLs/_repos/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/0.95/knownissues_overview.xml
(No such file or directory)
X [0]                                     0.94/changes_0.94.html
 BROKEN: /Users/Shared/_WebDLs/_repos/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/0.94/changes_0.94.xml
(No such file or directory)
X [0]                                     /0.94/releaseNotes_0.94.html
 BROKEN: /Users/Shared/_WebDLs/_repos/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/0.94/releaseNotes_0.94.xml
(No such file or directory)
X [0]                                     /0.94/changes_0.94.html
 BROKEN: /Users/Shared/_WebDLs/_repos/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/0.94/changes_0.94.xml
(No such file or directory)
X [0]
/0.95/knownissues_overview.html       BROKEN:
/Users/Shared/_WebDLs/_repos/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/0.95/knownissues_overview.xml
(No such file or directory)
X [0]                                     /changes.html BROKEN:
/Users/Shared/_WebDLs/_repos/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/changes.xml
(No such file or directory)
X [0]                                     /knownissues.html
BROKEN: Resource not found: cocoon://knownissues-raw-fotree.xml
 X [0]
/0.95/releaseNotes_0.95.html BROKEN:
/Users/Shared/_WebDLs/_repos/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/0.95/releaseNotes_0.95.xml
(No such file or directory)
X [0]                                     /0.95/changes_0.95.html
 BROKEN: /Users/Shared/_WebDLs/_repos/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/0.95/changes_0.95.xml
(No such file or directory)
 X [0]                                     compliance.pdf
BROKEN: internal-destination or external-destination must be specified
in basic-link
X [0]                                     changes.html  BROKEN:
/Users/Shared/_WebDLs/_repos/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/changes.xml
(No such file or directory)
X [0]                                     0.94/releaseNotes_0.94.html
 BROKEN: /Users/Shared/_WebDLs/_repos/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/0.94/releaseNotes_0.94.xml
(No such file or directory)
X [0]
/0.94/knownissues_overview.html       BROKEN: Resource not found:
cocoon://knownissues-raw-fotree_0.94.xml
X [0]                                     0.95/changes_0.95.html
 BROKEN: /Users/Shared/_WebDLs/_repos/apache/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/0.95/changes_0.95.xml
(No such file or directory)
X [0]
0.94/knownissues_overview.html        BROKEN: Resource not found:
cocoon://knownissues-raw-fotree_0.94.xml

The Web Maestro
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: Next release - when?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 29.02.2008 11:18:57 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Looks good, Clay. Please commit it to Trunk. I'll take it from there and
> > make sure we can incorporate this in the 0.95 release. I'll also see
> > about switching to Forrest Trunk so we can use FOP 0.94/0.95 for the
> > PDFs.
>
> Just curious: do you mean the trunk/ branch of the Forrest repo (future
> 0.9)? Or the “trunk” version of the 0.8 branch? IIC up to now we had to
> use the trunk version of Forrest 0.7 as auto publish wasn’t working with
> the released version, so there seems to be trunks for every version
> (0.7, 0.8, 0.9...).

It's confusing if you use "trunk" in the context of a branch. What you
mean is the "HEAD" revision of a branch.

I mean the HEAD revision (or at some point a fixed revision that we find
stable enough to work with) of the trunk.

> > On 29.02.2008 08:34:00 The Web Maestro wrote:
> >> Howdy Folks,
> >>
> >> I've got an update to the FOP web site for the 0.95 release:
> >>
> >> http://people.apache.org/~clay/fop_refactored_0.95/
>
> This is already looking better ;-)
>

> >> It's not too different from before, except for the 'Using FOP 0.95' &
> >> 'FOP 0.95 Features' menus in the nav for the Home tab, and I've
>
> I’m not sure those entries should be added to the Home tab. Basically
> they duplicate what’s in the 0.95 tab, so that will add to the confusion
> IMO. The Home tab should remain dedicated to general informations about
> the project. What do others think?

I'm 0 on this if it doesn't cause a maintenance problem.

> Also, have you looked at disabling the menu auto-rolling feature? If
> not, I will ;-)
>
> <snip/>
>
> Thanks Clay,
> Vincent
>

> --
> Vincent Hennebert                            Anyware Technologies
> http://people.apache.org/~vhennebert         http://www.anyware-tech.com
> Apache FOP Committer                         FOP Development/Consulting

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Updating to a newer Forrest (was: Next release - when?)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I don't see a need to change that. I'll concentrate on the actual
contents to get the release out of the door.

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
>  > >  > I removed those links in the nav, and instead replaced them with a
>  > >  > link to a new Quick Start guide.
>  > >
>  > >  Only that Quick Start Guide is missing!?!
>  >
>  > No...
>
>  Are you really sure? http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=632558&view=rev

D'oh! I'd `svn add`d it, but I wasn't using an svn co with https, so I
had to 'fix' it:

>  > I added a new file called 'Quick Start Guide' for the Home
>  > navigation. At present, the Quick Start Guide merely has links to the
>  > important Newbie stuff (mostly what I copied to the Nav from 0.95:
>  > Download, Build, Configure; as well as what you can do with FOP:
>  > graphics, embedding, servlets, etc.). My intention is to turn it into
>  > a 'real' Quick Start Guide.
>  >
>  > >  > >  Also, have you looked at disabling the menu auto-rolling feature? If
>  > >  > >  not, I will ;-)
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Fixing that should be as easy as adding this to the bottom of the
>  > >  > <extra-css> block in src/documentation/skinconf.xml:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > <extra-css>
>  > >  >     .menuitemgroup{ display: block;}
>  > >  > </extra-css>
>  > >  >
>  > >  > I just added a change to skinconf.xml in svn. Unfortunately, the
>  > >  > change did not show in my local build. Nevertheless that's how Forrest
>  > >  > works.
>  >
>  > Did you get the .menuitemgroup CSS to work?
>
>  Haven't tried it, yet. I will later today.

Cool!

The Web Maestro

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
>  Thanks, Clay! I've already fixed most problems locally. There's a
>  problem with Forrest 0.8 and trunk concerning compliance.pdf. I've
>  already submitted a patch [1] against Forrest Trunk to fix this (plus
>  some other improvements). The "knownissues-overview" problem is for
>  tomorrow. I'll upload the changes when everything is working. The new
>  PDFs will look quite nice when this is finished. Except for the missing
>  auto-table-layout support, of course. :-(
>
>  [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1072
<snip/>
>  > I removed those links in the nav, and instead replaced them with a
>  > link to a new Quick Start guide.
>
>  Only that Quick Start Guide is missing!?!

No... I added a new file called 'Quick Start Guide' for the Home

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Re: Next release - when?

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Mar 1, 2008, at 09:01, The Web Maestro wrote:

Hi

Just noticed this:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:18 AM, Vincent Hennebert
>
>>  Also, have you looked at disabling the menu auto-rolling feature? If
>>  not, I will ;-)
>
> Fixing that should be as easy as adding this to the bottom of the
> <extra-css> block in src/documentation/skinconf.xml:
>
> <extra-css>
>     .menuitemgroup{ display: block;}
> </extra-css>
>
> I just added a change to skinconf.xml in svn. Unfortunately, the
> change did not show in my local build. Nevertheless that's how Forrest
> works.

That would make all the nodes expanded by default, but if I interpret
Vincent correctly, it's not /that/ simple...? :/
Just checked a few other projects' sites and the 'annoying' behavior
mentioned earlier is also present there, most notably also Forrest's
own homepage.
BTW: Checking the HTML and JavaScript source, I don't see any sign of
something session-persistent. The structure is relatively simple: if
you switch to tab B, then the browser will be redirected to a new
page, forgetting what the state of the menu on tab A was. Switching
back to A means reloading the page corresponding to the first tab
from scratch.

It could turn out to be not too much effort to add, I guess.
Unfortunately, I'm not fluent in Forrest, so I have no idea how far a
user can go in terms of embedding custom scripts. If they do not
already have something for this, I may just know enough HTML/
JavaScript to hack this together, and if it works well on our end,
donate it back to Forrest one day. Right now, I know little more than
how to generate the site. I know roughly what the resulting pieces of
script should look like, and how the generated HTML should be
modified, but not enough Forrest-related configuration details to
know /where/ to make those changes...

Cheers

Andreas

Re: Next release - when?

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
<vi...@anyware-tech.com> wrote:
>  Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>  > Looks good, Clay. Please commit it to Trunk. I'll take it from there and
>  > make sure we can incorporate this in the 0.95 release. I'll also see
>  > about switching to Forrest Trunk so we can use FOP 0.94/0.95 for the
>  > PDFs.

It's in there...

Re: Next release - when?

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.