Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2011/07/23 12:32:08 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1149683 [1/2] - in /directory/apacheds/trunk: core-annotations/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/server/core/factory/ core-api/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/server/core/ core-api/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/server/core/e

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM,  <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: elecharny
> Date: Fri Jul 22 18:28:27 2011
> New Revision: 1149683

> Log:
> o Get rid of the SchemaService class : it still exists, but all the remaining methods are static (we don't need anymore to have a schemaService instance in the DirectoryService)

OK I see now. Please ignore my last post regarding whether or not we
removed this interface. I now recall our conversation regarding
getting rid of this service. The SchemaManager basically should handle
it all. Will be nice to even get rid of these static methods.

Regards,
Alex

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/23/11 12:32 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM,<el...@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Author: elecharny
>>> Date: Fri Jul 22 18:28:27 2011
>>> New Revision: 1149683

>>> Log:
>>> o Get rid of the SchemaService class : it still exists, but all the
>>> remaining methods are static (we don't need anymore to have a schemaService
>>> instance in the DirectoryService)
>>
>> OK I see now. Please ignore my last post regarding whether or not we
>> removed this interface. I now recall our conversation regarding
>> getting rid of this service. The SchemaManager basically should handle
>> it all. Will be nice to even get rid of these static methods.
>
> Well, I thought about moving those methods to SchemaManager, but it's deeply
> coupled with the DirectoryService. And as the SchemaManager is part of the
> LDAP API, we can't create such a link.

Ahh yes this is where we have a balancing act and probably one of the
drivers that made us separate these two.

> Another thougth I had was to move all the methods to DS, but I thought that
> would make this class a big fat boy, so I kept it as a standalone helper
> class.

Yeah sounds best as a utility class. Perhaps then we should just do
away with the misnomer of SchemaService and name it something more
appropriate.

> I still have to check if we can make some further improvement in this area
> (for instance, the Dao stuff might be reviewed too).

Right. I have some ideas on this stuff. I'd like to touch base and
discuss these details towards the tail end of this coming week.

Best Regards,
-- Alex

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 7/23/11 12:32 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM,<el...@apache.org>  wrote:
>> Author: elecharny
>> Date: Fri Jul 22 18:28:27 2011
>> New Revision: 1149683

>> Log:
>> o Get rid of the SchemaService class : it still exists, but all the remaining methods are static (we don't need anymore to have a schemaService instance in the DirectoryService)
> OK I see now. Please ignore my last post regarding whether or not we
> removed this interface. I now recall our conversation regarding
> getting rid of this service. The SchemaManager basically should handle
> it all. Will be nice to even get rid of these static methods.
Well, I thought about moving those methods to SchemaManager, but it's
deeply coupled with the DirectoryService. And as the SchemaManager is
part of the LDAP API, we can't create such a link.

Another thougth I had was to move all the methods to DS, but I thought
that would make this class a big fat boy, so I kept it as a standalone
helper class.

I still have to check if we can make some further improvement in this
area (for instance, the Dao stuff might be reviewed too).

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com