Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by spaway <su...@googlemail.com> on 2009/06/07 20:49:16 UTC

blog, wiki, chat, alert, poll components

Hi all,

Would any body be able to direct me to how I can use tapestry to achieve a
blog, wiki, chat, alert and/or poll engines.

It will be great for me to know of any available components (if any) for the
above(s).

Any pointer in the right direction will be appreciated.

Thnks

SPA

Re: blog, wiki, chat, alert, poll components

Posted by Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>.
hmm, a blog or wiki module would be a nice feature and not realy hard to
realize
for general using ...... but you are right, a complete CMS shouldnt be a
component or module

with regards
Sven Homburg
Founder of the Chenille Kit Project
http://www.chenillekit.org

Posted by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de>.
> I have checked the chenillekit list of components + templates again.  It
> appears there is none for a blog, wiki, chat or alert.  If there is could
> you please point me to where exactly it is?  or am I looking for something
> that tapestry components does not offer at this time?

Tapestry is a framework, no web cms. How would it be useful to have ready to

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Christian
Senk<se...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> But with this technique you replace only the stylesheets,
> it is not possible in T5 to replace the generated HTML from skin to skin

IMHO, if you replace the generated HTML, it's not a skin, it's
something else, as you're changing functionality too. When I think
about a skin, I remember how they're implemented in Firefox, Opera and
Winamp, for example: they just change how things look, not how they
work.

> like in Wordpress because the TML and the Java-class are strongly wired
> together, or?
> This would be really great ^.^

The class is wired to the template and vice-versa, but you can always
create components for smaller parts and use the Delegate component.
You can also use the template extension feature in Tapestry 5.1.0.5.
Take a look at how BeanEditor/BeanEditForm works, for example.

I guess people still need to learn how to think in the "static
structure, dynamic content" philosophy of Tapestry. It's a change of
how to solve some problems, so people need time to get used to it.

--
Thiago

Re: blog, wiki, chat, alert, poll components

Posted by Luther Baker <lu...@gmail.com>.
If you want to allow that much control - you are likely relegated to JSPs.

-Luther

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Onno Scheffers<on...@piraya.nl> wrote:
> Well, that's all a skin is required to do... change the appearance, not the
> behavior.

Nice to know I'm not the only one using this definition of skin. :)

> You just have to make sure you don't use any images in your HTML. Use CSS
> for that and you can change the look and feel and position of pretty much
> everything.

Absolutely right. A very powerful example of what can accomplished by
CSS, without changing the HTML file, is http://csszengarden.com/. All
the pages there have exactly the same HTML, but using different CSS
styles. It's absolutely amazing that the first page and
http://csszengarden.com/?cssfile=/202/202.css&page=1 are the same but
the applied CSS (and images defined through CSS, of course). :)

--
Thiago

Re: blog, wiki, chat, alert, poll components

Posted by Onno Scheffers <on...@piraya.nl>.

Posted by Christian Senk <se...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Otho <ta...@googlemail.com>.
2009/6/9 Onno Scheffers <on...@piraya.nl>

> I'm currently cleaning up the stylesheets throughout our application and
> replacing whatever I can with styles from jQuery UI CSS Framework (
> http://jqueryui.com/docs/Theming/API). This means it gets much easier for
> non-techies to create custom skins with the ThemeRoller (
> http://jqueryui.com/themeroller/).

I wasn't aware of this it sounds intriguing :)

Re: blog, wiki, chat, alert, poll components

Posted by Onno Scheffers <on...@piraya.nl>.

Posted by Otho <ta...@googlemail.com>.

> Why can't we already do that with a Layout component, CSS and the
> Delegate component?

Skinning means you drop in a skin to some folder and everything changes
automatically. With the layout component you have to manually adjust it.
Core support means, that there is a core mechanism to find skins
automatically and be able to change the looks at runtime for example with a
listbox "Skinchanger". If I drop in new classes into a running app the class
reloading doesn't take them up. Only changed classes which were there at
startup. Skinning support would also require that all the css, js and
whatever else you need is preferably in one place.

The point with that is, that if I write for example a blog module it should
seamlessly integrate into the looks of the site. At the moment it is a bit
awkward. The new archetype look is really nice - until you use tapestry core
components like the grid. The blue and the beige/brown really bite each
other. And though it is possible to pull the grid css from the classpath and
override the classes you want, that is imho a really less than optimal
solution. A centralized skinning facility would ease that process a lot.

>  > core ability to draw templates from
> > arbitrary locations
>

> Some people in this list have already done that.

Yes, some did it. IIRC they had to override core classes /services for that.
I'm uneasy about that, especially when thinking about the fact that Tap5.1
is _mostly_ backwards compatible, but not _fully_. These things are needed
or would at least be warmly greeted in about every contemporary webapp.
Having to maintain overrides which possibly use internal services and
classes with each version change is an unneccesary strain, I think.

This will eventually happen as time passes. Tapestry 5 is still a
> young framework.

Yes of course. Thatswhy I don't think it will happen soon :)

>  > If you build high level components on the raw framework you'll run into
> > compatibility and interoperability issues otherwise.
>
> I'm not following you. Please enlighten me on what these compatibility
> and interoperability are. :)

Let's say I write a forum module. This needs access restrictions and a
hierarchy of user rights. If I dice my own for this component this would
mean that you have possibly 2 (or even more with other components which also
dice their own user-management) authentication mechanisms. With a standard
auth-service with accompanying components for login, access restrictions
etc. I could just rely on that. That would also give clear extension points
where professionals with non-standard needs for authentication, could
customize by implementing the standard security service/components'
interface.

> Grails' success comes mostly from the rich ecosystem of plugins (and Gorm)
> > which _mostly_ interoperate just fine. To achieve the same in Tapestry is
> > not possible in the way they do it there,
>

> Why not?

Because nobody would want to write the build system and also quite some of
the magic comes from groovys dynamic nature and especially gorm. And though
it is possible to use Gorm with Tapestry, you are forced then to write all
classes which use its dynamic finders for example in groovy. If you factor
data access code out into daos or services you don't have a real advantage
over plain old hibernate and writing all services, pages and components in
groovy... well then you can use grails with all its plugins straight away
since you loose the advantage of statically typed Java anyways.

 > but it should be possible to come
> > near enough when there are some well defined interfaces where you can
> plug
> > in your components.
>
> I guess you mean services instead of components in this message,
> something that confuses your reasoning.

Yes there is some confusion, sorry for that. I tried to stick more to the
correct terms this time.

Re: blog, wiki, chat, alert, poll components

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Otho <ta...@googlemail.com>.
Well, there are some bits and pieces missing to make that feasible. Most
notably an easy skinning support, core ability to draw templates from
arbitrary locations and some standard components which belong into the core
IMO like for example a standard login/security/user management system, a
standard messaging/email component... in effect about the things which are
also offered by GAE as services.

If you build high level components on the raw framework you'll run into
compatibility and interoperability issues otherwise. With standard
components, which about 75-80% of all webapps need, built into the core
framework it would be easier to write components which work for most cases
out of the box and leave customization to people who really need it and who
know what they are doing. As it is, you can easily build low level
components for others like the chenillekit-ui components, but for high
level, albeit  standard stuff like a simple blog, you are on your own.

Grails' success comes mostly from the rich ecosystem of plugins (and Gorm)
which _mostly_ interoperate just fine. To achieve the same in Tapestry is
not possible in the way they do it there, but it should be possible to come
near enough when there are some well defined interfaces where you can plug
in your components. But this is a lot of work of course and thus will
probably not happen anytime soon.

Posted by Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Otho <ta...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by spaway <su...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Maya,

Posted by "Juan E. Maya" <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Mon, 08 Jun 2009 17:02:10 -0300, spaway <su...@googlemail.com>
escreveu:

> Dear all,

Hi!

> sorry if I have used the wrong term by calling wiki/blog/chat components.

No problem. As you can see, poorly-worded questions tend to not get good
answers. ;)

> However, what I really want is a wiki/blog/chat that is build on-top of
> / or using tapestry framework.

When someone creates some package that works on the top of Tapestry or
Tapestry-IoC, it's almost 100% sure that they post an announcement in this
list and then ask the committers to post a link in the Tapestry home page
(http://tapestry.apache.org/). As there was no announcement of Tapestry
wiki, blog, chat or CMS projects I can recall, I guess you should build
your own or wait until someone does that.

I'm planning to build a blog package, but I don't have any dates for it.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

Re: blog, wiki, chat, alert, poll components

Posted by spaway <su...@googlemail.com>.
Dear all,
sorry if I have used the wrong term by calling wiki/blog/chat components.
However, what I really want is a wiki/blog/chat that is build on-top of / or
using tapestry framework.

cheers

SPA

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Juan E. Maya" <ma...@gmail.com>.
I am still a bit confused with the thread.
When somebody asked for useful components to build a wik,i i thought
that for example fckeditor would be useful, but how a wiki could be a
component?
Aren't we speaking more about a module or something like this?

Posted by "Joachim Van der Auwera (PROGS bvba)" <jo...@progs.be>.