Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Pavel Georgiev <pa...@3tera.com> on 2010/03/16 07:26:22 UTC

mod_perl memory

Hi,

I have a perl script running in mod_perl that needs to write a large amount of data to the client, possibly over a long period. The behavior that I observe is that once I print and flush something, the buffer memory is not reclaimed even though I rflush (I know this cant be reclaimed back by the OS).

Is that how mod_perl operates and is there a way that I can force it to periodically free the buffer memory, so that I can use that for new buffers instead of taking more from the OS?

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by ARTHUR GOLDBERG <ar...@cs.nyu.edu>.
Pavel

You're welcome. You are correct about the limitations of
Apache2::SizeLimit. Processes cannot be 'scrubbed'; rather they should
be killed and restarted.

Rapid memory growth should be prevented by prohibiting processes from
ever growing large than a preset limit. On Unix systems, the system
call setrlimit sets process resource limits. These limits are
inherited by children of the process. These limits can view and set
with the bash command rlimit. Many resources can be limited, but I'm
focusing on process size, which is controlled by resource RLIMIT_AS,
the maximum size of a process's virtual memory (address space) in
bytes. (Some operating systems control RLIMIT_DATA, The maximum size
of the process's data segment, but Linux doesn't.)
When a process tries to exceeds a resource limit, the system call that
requested the resource fails and returns an error. The type of error
depends on which resource's limit is violated (see man page for
setrlimit). In the case of virtual memory, the RLIMIT_AS can be
exceeded by any call that asks for additional virtual memory, such as
brk(2), which sets the end of the data segment. Perl manages memory
via either the system's malloc or its own malloc. If asking for
virtual memory fails, then malloc will fail, which will typically
cause the Perl process to write "Out of Memory!" to STDERR and die.
RLIMIT_AS can be set in many ways. One direct way an Apache/mod_perl
process can set it is via Apache2::Resource. For example, these
commands can be added to httpd.conf:

PerlModule Apache2::Resource
# set child memory limit to 100 megabytes
# RLIMIT_AS (address space) will work to limit the size of a process
PerlSetEnv PERL_RLIMIT_AS 100
PerlChildInitHandler Apache2::Resource

The PerlSetEnv line sets the Perl environment variable PERL_RLIMIT_AS.
The PerlChildInitHandler line directs Apache to load Apache2::Resource
each time it creates an httpd process. Apache2::Resource then reads
PERL_RLIMIT_AS and sets the RLIMIT_AS limit to 100 (megabytes). Any
httpd that tries to grow bigger than 100 MB will fail. (Also,
PERL_RLIMIT_AS can be set to soft_limit:hard_limit, where soft_limit
is the limit at which the resource request will fail. At any time the
soft_limit can be adjusted up to the hard_limit.)
I recommend against setting this limit for a threaded process, because
if one Request handler gets the process killed then all threads
handling requests will fail.
When the process has failed it is difficult to output an error message
to the web user, because Perl calls die and the process exits.

As I wrote yesterday, failure of a mod_perl process with "Out of
Memory!", as occurs when the softlimit of RLIMIT_AS is exceeded, does
not trigger an Apache ErrorDocument 500. A mod_perl process that exits
(actually CORE::exit() must be called) doesn't trigger an
ErrorDocument 500 either.

Second, if Apache detects a server error it can redirect to a script
as discussed in Custom Error Response. It can access the REDIRECT
environment variables but doesn't know anything else about the HTTP
Request.

At this point I think that the best thing to do is use
MaxRequestsPerChild and Apache2::SizeLimit to handle most memory
problems, and simply let processes that blow up die without feedback
to users. Not ideal, but they should be extremely rare events.

BR

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Torsten Förtsch <to...@gmx.net>.
On Friday 19 March 2010 22:07:39 André Warnier wrote:
> In one of your initial posts, you mentioned sending a response with a
> Content-type "multipart/x-mixed-replace".
> What does that do exactly ?
> A pointer would be fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_technology#HTTP_server_push
http://foertsch.name/ModPerl-Tricks/ServerPush.shtml

Torsten Förtsch

Like fantasy? http://kabatinte.net

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Pavel Georgiev wrote:
> Thanks, that did the job. I'm currently testing for side effects but it all looks good so far.

Glad someone could help you.
I have been meaning to ask a question, and holding back.
In one of your initial posts, you mentioned sending a response with a
Content-type "multipart/x-mixed-replace".
What does that do exactly ?
A pointer would be fine.

Thanks

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Pavel Georgiev <pa...@3tera.com>.

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Dimitri Kollias <me...@gmail.com>.
I ran similar tests to what Torsten had, and definitely noticed a
difference in memory usage, but didn't see any leaks in memory.  Memory
usage is about twice when using $r->print, but it does hit it's max fairly
quickly.  Memory usage also maxes out fairly quickly using the bucket
brigade method.  Maybe the leak has been fixed?  I'm using apache 2.2.21
and mod_perl 2.05

Thanks,
Dimitri

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Torsten Förtsch <to...@gmx.net>.

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Torsten Förtsch <to...@gmx.net>.
On Thursday 18 March 2010 10:16:07 Torsten Förtsch wrote:
> No, this one does not grow here.
>
> sub {
forgot to mention that the function is supposed to be a PerlResponseHandler.

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Mårten Svantesson <ma...@travelocitynordic.com>.
Torsten Förtsch skrev:
> On Thursday 18 March 2010 04:13:04 Pavel Georgiev wrote:
>> How would that logic (adding subpools and using them) be applied to my
>>  simplified example:
>>
>> for (;;) {
>>    $request->print("--$this->{boundary}\n");
>>    $request->print("Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8;\n\n");
>>    $request->print("$data\n\n");
>>    $request->rflush;
>> }
>>
>> Do I need to add an output filter?
>>
> No, this one does not grow here.
>
> sub {
>   my ($r)=@_;
>
>   my $ba=$r->connection->bucket_alloc;
>   until( -e '/tmp/stop' ) {
>     my $pool=$r->pool->new;
>     my $bb2=APR::Brigade->new($pool, $ba);
>     $bb2->insert_tail(APR::Bucket->new($ba, ("x"x70)."\n"));
>     $bb2->insert_tail(APR::Bucket::flush_create $ba);
>     $r->output_filters->pass_brigade($bb2);
>     $pool->destroy;
>   }
>
>   my $bb2=APR::Brigade->new($r->pool, $ba);
>   $bb2->insert_tail(APR::Bucket::eos_create $ba);
>   $r->output_filters->pass_brigade($bb2);
>
>   return Apache2::Const::OK;
> }
>
> Torsten Förtsch

I have never worked directly with the APR API but in the example above couldn't you prevent the request pool from growing by explicitly reusing the
bucket brigade?

Something like (not tested):

sub {
   my ($r)=@_;

   my $ba=$r->connection->bucket_alloc;
   my $bb2=APR::Brigade->new($r->pool, $ba);
   until( -e '/tmp/stop' ) {
     $bb2->insert_tail(APR::Bucket->new($ba, ("x"x70)."\n"));
     $bb2->insert_tail(APR::Bucket::flush_create $ba);
     $r->output_filters->pass_brigade($bb2);
     $bb2->cleanup();
   }

   $bb2->insert_tail(APR::Bucket::eos_create $ba);
   $r->output_filters->pass_brigade($bb2);

   return Apache2::Const::OK;
}

--
   Mårten Svantesson
   Senior Developer
   Travelocity Nordic
   +46 (0)8 505 787 23

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Torsten Förtsch <to...@gmx.net>.

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Pavel Georgiev <pa...@3tera.com>.

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Torsten Förtsch <to...@gmx.net>.

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Perrin Harkins <ph...@gmail.com>.
2010/3/17 Torsten Förtsch <to...@gmx.net>:
> The httpd process grows slowly but unlimited. Without the rflush() it grows
> slower but still does.
>
> With the rflush() its size increased by 100MB for an output of 220MB.
> Without it it grew by 10MB for an output of 2.3GB.
>
> I'd say it's a bug.

I agree.  This should not cause ongoing process growth.  The data must
be accumulating somewhere.

- Perrin

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Salvador Ortiz Garcia <so...@msg.com.mx>.
On 03/17/2010 05:15 AM, Torsten Förtsch wrote:
> until( -e "/tmp/stop" ) {
>      $r->print(("x"x70)."\n");
>      $r->rflush;
>    }

Just for the record:

With mp1 there isn't any mem leak with or without rflush.
(After 10 mins: output 109GB. Fedora's 12 stock perl 5.10.0, apache
1.3.42, mod_perl 1.31)

Maybe is mp2's filters related.

Regards.

Salvador Ortiz.

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Torsten Förtsch <to...@gmx.net>.

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
André Warnier wrote:
> Pavel Georgiev wrote:
>> Andre,
>>
>> That is what I'm currently doing:
>> $request->content_type("multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=\"$this->{boundary}\";");
>>

> I don't think so.  What you show above is a multipart message body,
> which is not the same (and not the same level).
> What you are looking for is a header like
> Transfer-encoding: chunked
>
> And this chunked transfer encoding happens last in the chain. It is just
> a way of sending the data to the browser in smaller pieces, like one
> would do for example to send a whole multi-megabyte video file.
>

> This link may help :
>
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.6
> and this
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.41
>
> Also search Google for "mod_perl +chunked"
>
> The first item in the list contains a phrase :
> "mod_perl can transparently generate chunked encoding on recent versions
> of Apache"
>
> I personally don't know how, but it sounds intriguing enough to look
> further into it.
> Maybe one of the gurus on this list knows more about it, and can give a
> better opinion than mine as to whether this might help you.

In one of the following hits in Google, I found this demo CGI script :

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use CGI;
my $cgi = new CGI();
print $cgi->header(-type => 'application/octet-stream',
-content_disposition => 'attachment; filename=data.raw', -connection =>
'close', -transfer_encoding => 'chunked');
open (my $fh, '<', '/dev/urandom') || die "$!\n";
for (1..100) {
my $data;
read($fh, $data, 1024*1024);
print $data;
}

That should be easily transposable to mod_perl.

Of course above they read and send in chunks of 1 MB, which may not be
the small buffers you are looking for..
;-)

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by Pavel Georgiev <pa...@3tera.com>.
Andre,

That is what I'm currently doing:
$request->content_type("multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=\"$this->{boundary}\";");

and then each chuck of prints looks like this (no length specified):

for (<some condition>) {

Re: mod_perl memory

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Re: mod_perl memory