Posted to users@maven.apache.org by PeterNilsson <pe...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/31 12:19:17 UTC

Retrieving version of the pom itself - not the child projects pom

Hi,

Project "C" has project "P" as parent. Is it possible in the pom of "P" to
refer to its own version?

If I use ${pom.version} or ${project.version} in the pom of "P" it will
evaluate to the version of "C" when building C. I need a way to refer to the
version of P.

    Peter

Re: Retrieving version of the pom itself - not the child projects pom

Posted by PeterNilsson <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The parent pom belongs to a build config project and contains common build
configuration, ie dependency management, plugin management etc.

The parent pom is common for many projects with different release cycles,
therefore it will have a different version than the child projects.

Some of the plugin definitions in the plugin management section of the
parent pom refer to plugins (or libs that the plugins depend on) within the
build config project and thus have the same version as the parent pom.

It is these references within plugin management that I would like to avoid
having to manually update when doing a release.

The relevant parts of the parent pom:

<pluginManagement>
  <plugin>
    <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
    <version>2.1</version>
    <dependencies>
      <dependency>
        <groupId>com.orc.maven</groupId>
        <artifactId>checkstyle_config</artifactId>
        <version>1.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
      </dependency>
    </dependencies>
  </plugin>
  <plugin>
    <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
    <artifactId>native-maven-plugin</artifactId>
    <version>1.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
  </plugin>

The bold parts are the ones I like to replace with a reference to the
version of the pom they reside in.

    Peter

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by PeterNilsson <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Williams <an...@handyande.co.uk>.

Posted by PeterNilsson <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Thorsten Heit <th...@gmx.de>.

Posted by PeterNilsson <pe...@gmail.com>.
Won't ${project.version} be resolved to the version of the pom in the project
where the build was invoked?

I want the version of "this" pom, ie the pom which contains the property
reference. It will make a difference in a multi-module build where projects
have different versions.

   Peter

Posted by Thorsten Heit <th...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by PeterNilsson <pe...@gmail.com>.
Yes, but if I use ${project.parent.version} in my parent pom then it would
only work when building the child, not when building the parent (or a
grandchild).

Posted by Jo Vandermeeren <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,