Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Prabhu, VM (Vinayak)" <vi...@stfc.ac.uk> on 2009/05/08 14:23:23 UTC

Questions about subversion

Hi Everyone,

I want to install a version control system for my project. I was looking
at your website to install version control software  and I had few
questions. I want to install a CVS on a windows server and use the CVS
primarily for check in and checkout of files.

On this http://subversion.tigris.org/getting.html#windows under
Subversion Binary Packages
1. I can see few software below  which one I need to install from the
below  software ?
CollabNet <http://www.collab.net/downloads/subversion/>  (Certified
binaries)
Tigris.org: Apache 2.0
<http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91>
or Apache 2.2
<http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=8100

SlikSVN <http://www.sliksvn.com/en/download> : 32 and 64 bit client MSI
VisualSVN <http://www.visualsvn.com/server>  (VisualSVN Server)

2. Is  TortoiseSVN <http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/>  (Windows)  the
right client from CVS ?

3. If I understand this right the above software can be downloaded and
installed and it's free. I am just double checking.
Please let me know.Thanks in advance.
Vinny.

--

Scanned by iCritical.

Re: Questions about subversion

Posted by Edmund Wong <ed...@kdtc.net>.
Prabhu, VM (Vinayak) wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I want to install a version control system for my project. I was looking
> at your website to install version control software  and I had few
> questions. I want to install a CVS on a windows server and use the CVS
> primarily for check in and checkout of files.

Don't you mean SVN and not CVS?

> 1. I can see few software below  which one I need to install from the
> below  software ?
> CollabNet <http://www.collab.net/downloads/subversion/>  (Certified
> binaries)
> Tigris.org: Apache 2.0
> <http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91>
> or Apache 2.2
> <http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=8100
> SlikSVN <http://www.sliksvn.com/en/download> : 32 and 64 bit client MSI
> VisualSVN <http://www.visualsvn.com/server>  (VisualSVN Server)

The two things (for starters, at least) you need are:

   1) Subversion
   2) Apache  (IF you want to run an Apache setup. Otherwise,
               you can still run Subversion under Svnserve,
               which is simpler.)

SlikSVN and VisualSVN are clients that can be installed
on your Windows system.

> 2. Is  TortoiseSVN <http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/>  (Windows)  the
> right client from CVS ?

For Subversion?  Yes.  There are others of course, but I'm
using TortoiseSVN.

> 3. If I understand this right the above software can be downloaded and
> installed and it's free. I am just double checking.

Yes.  Read the book while you're at it to further
understand what Subversion is about.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for CVS, then you're
looking at the wrong site.  :)

Edmund

Re: Questions about subversion

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:23, Prabhu, VM (Vinayak)
<vi...@stfc.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I want to install a version control system for my project. I was looking at
> your website to install version control software  and I had few questions. I
> want to install a CVS on a windows server and use the CVS primarily for
> check in and checkout of files.

If you're looking to install CVS, you're in the wrong place.

> On this http://subversion.tigris.org/getting.html#windows under Subversion
> Binary Packages
> 1. I can see few software below  which one I need to install from the below
> software ?
> CollabNet (Certified binaries)
> Tigris.org: Apache 2.0 or Apache 2.2
> SlikSVN: 32 and 64 bit client MSI
> VisualSVN (VisualSVN Server)
>
> 2. Is  TortoiseSVN (Windows)  the right client from CVS ?

Assuming you mean SVN, there is no "right client" - there are many
clients because everyone has different needs. I personally have 4
clients installed on my workstation.

> 3. If I understand this right the above software can be downloaded and
> installed and it's free. I am just double checking.

Yes.

Re: Questions about subversion

Posted by David Darj <zi...@alagazam.net>.
Hari Kodungallur wrote:

> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Prabhu, VM (Vinayak)
> <vinayak.prabhu@stfc.ac.uk <ma...@stfc.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Everyone,
>
>     I want to install a version control system for my project. I was
>     looking at your website to install version control software  and I
>     had few questions. I want to install a CVS on a windows server and
>     use the CVS primarily for check in and checkout of files.
>
>     On this _http://subversion.tigris.org/getting.html#windows_ under*
>     Subversion Binary Packages*
>     1. I can see few software below  which one I need to install from
>     the below  software ?
>     _CollabNet_ <http://www.collab.net/downloads/subversion/>
>     (Certified binaries)
>     Tigris.org: _Apache 2.0_
>     <http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91>
>     or _Apache 2.2_
>     <http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=8100>
>     _SlikSVN_ <http://www.sliksvn.com/en/download>: 32 and 64 bit
>     client MSI
>     _VisualSVN_ <http://www.visualsvn.com/server> (VisualSVN Server)
>
>     2. Is  _TortoiseSVN_ <http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/> (Windows)
>     the right client from CVS ?
>
>     3. If I understand this right the above software can be downloaded
>     and installed and it's free. I am just double checking.
>

> I suppose you want SVN (Subversion) and not CVS.
> You can install the svn binary built with Apache 2.2 or Apache 2.0.
> The choice is yours. (I have not used SilkSVN or VisualSVN and so I
> don't know about them).
>
> Yes, the software is free.
>
> regards,
> -Hari

If you decide for Tigris.org versions you might want MSI installer for
the latest version.
They are available from my site:   http://alagazam.net

http://alagazam.net/Setup-Subversion-1.5.4.msi
http://alagazam.net/Setup-Subversion-1.5.5.msi
http://alagazam.net/Setup-Subversion-1.5.6.msi

http://alagazam.net/Setup-Subversion-1.6.0.msi
http://alagazam.net/Setup-Subversion-1.6.1.msi

Fell free to download any version you want!!

/David

Re: Questions about subversion

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.